New Lounger
    Thanks
    I see this problem often. I install software and the icons do not appear on the Start Menu. The shortcut is located in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\<folder> where the folder corresponds to the particular application.

When I examine the security permissions of the shortcut, my account has special permissions this object only: delete. Everyone and users: read and execute; Administrators and SYSTEM: full control.

If I add read and execute for my account and I change the icon on the shortcut (to the same icon), only then will the icon appear on the Start Menu.

I've always thought that Windows XP permissions were screwy. It seems that Windows 7 has its own screwiness. Why can't Microsoft toss out that NT junk and adopt something simpler, like Unix permissions (read,write,execute)?

Thanks
    Kent, there are no icons on the 'Start Menu' just the desktop.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the permissions for C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu. If there you also only have delete permission, change it there (cascading the permissions to the subfolder). That should take care of it. (I am basing this advice on the assumption that the folder/shortcuts in question are obtaining their permissions from the parent folder. I just now checked my accounts permissions in Start Menu and I have no permissions! Must be some new security feature...)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Check the permissions for C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu. If there you also only have delete permission, change it there (cascading the permissions to the subfolder). That should take care of it. (I am basing this advice on the assumption that the folder/shortcuts in question are obtaining their permissions from the parent folder. I just now checked my accounts permissions in Start Menu and I have no permissions! Must be some new security feature...)
    This is the clue I was looking for. I found that my special permission on the Start Menu folder is not inherited like the others. Something put that special permission there. I removed it so my permissions stem from Everyone and Users which should work just fine and the same way your permissions work. So I wonder what I did to create that special permission? I'll never know.

When I changed permissions on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, the permissions on C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs changed in the same way, so these two locations must be the same. I hate Windows folder magic.

Thank you for your help. I'll keep my eyes open for more special permissions on my user account created by Bill-knows-what.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, those two folder are the same location. If you look at the properties for c:\users\all users you will see that it is a shortcut for c:\ProgramData. Vista and Win 7 keep the old folder names around as shortcuts to the new locations for old apps that hard-coded the locations. The apps are supposed to ask Windows for those locations (in which case if the app ran in Win7 it would be given the new location), but many apps don't; either the programmer didn't know how to get the locations or was just lazy. Essentially, "All Users" has been deprecated.