3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A few weeks ago I made a couple of changes to the menu settings on a HP LJ4M: 600 -> 300 dpi, and a page protection setting which has since been reversed to off. If I did anything else, I don't recall and can't find it. In any case, since around then, after turning on the printer the first page of the first print job each day is a page that has a "s1M" in the upper left corner and is otherwise blank. Anyone recognize what might be causing that? Thanks,

XP/SP3

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello highstream;

I've had that exact same problem, other than the "s1M" was different, and I was not able to find the exact issue. However, I was able to rid myself of the problem by trying various drivers, as detailed in this reply to another member;

I have had similar issues with HP Printers over the years and have found the best solution is to install the most basic of driver possible without the rest of the software that HP often packages with it. On one model (can't remember which unfortunately), I looked through the download to find the .inf file and used that only. Also, if you have allowed Windows (whatever version) to automatically install the driver, you might try the driver on the HP website (on this page likely) or the disc software instead. First ensure that you have gone through Control Program, Remove Software, to ensure that the installed driver is removed. Hope this is of some assistance.

Sorry I don't have an exact or easy answer for you, but I have dealt with more than 10 different HP printers over the last few years and everyone of them had some type of driver problem. Perhaps just bad luck on my part, but the solution above did work in all but one case. (That is on my own printer, an HP Photosmart D7160, which is still erratic in its response to various computers, as it is shared on my computer over our home network.)

Bill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The driver hasn't changed since April 2002, but downloading/reinstalling doesn't hurt. Unfortunately, with the test page it didn't make a difference. Could it have something to do with the printer first starting up?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I don't have any more of a solution than what I have already written.

However, I did find this;

This is due to using a parallel port to USB adapter for printing.

You can fix this by turning off bidirectional support:

- Right click your printer, select properties
    - go to the ports tab, uncheck Enable bidirectional support.

Your printer has to be turned on before printing.

That fixed the extra page printing S1M problem for me.

using this search;

My Search

on this page;

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/31928

and found that you weren't the only one having this issue. Sorry I don't personally have more to offer but there does seem to be knowledgeable people with more ideas than I. Good luck.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Don't know why I didn't think of looking that up. Before I saw your reply - notification didn't work - I switched the resolution back from 300 to 600 dpi and since then the behavior has stopped. I'm going back to 300 and will check tomorrow. Looking at printer properties either way, the USB port is virtual and bi-directional is grayed out (nothing checked).