New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings all;

I'm pondering the replacement of a failed S-ATA hard drive on a Toshiba Satellite M100-JG2 Specs. Can I use a S-ATA 3 drive such as this to replace it? Thank you for your input. Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, the SATA power and data connections should be the same. On some very early systems the drive had to be jumpered to limit it to 1.5 spec in order for it to be recognized but you probably won't run into that problem; I'm not even sure that it applies to the 2.5 drives since presumptively they were released after the 3.5 drives, was addressed and it was never an issue.

Thanks
    Hi Bill, and welcome to the Lounge!

The SATA 2 drive you to which you linked will not gain you any extra performance if your motherboard is equipped with a SATA 1 interface.

The drive will work, but the performance of the drive will be limited to the capability of your current SATA interface.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both Gerald and Byron. I had thought it would work, but confirmation is nice to have before spending money. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Hey Bill, Welcome to the Lounge.

Here's my 2 cents, The HD you are looking at is only 120 GB. By today's standards this is on the small side. For about $17 bucks more you can get a 500 GB Western Digital HD. Well worth the extra few bucks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted, and thanks for your 2 cents. I had thought about a larger drive, but the friend I'm repairing this for wasn't using anywhere near the total 100 GB drive they had previously and was wanting to spend the very least amount of money they could. (Hence passing it on to me, a friend who will repair it for free.<grin>) Also, I have had and have read of issues regarding installing larger drives than the BIOS will support, thereby requiring an update or the computer just not addressing the drive, or at least all of the drive. Since they didn't care how big the drive was, I thought I would save myself the possible headache. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill.Lee View Post
    Greetings all;

I'm pondering the replacement of a failed S-ATA hard drive on a Toshiba Satellite M100-JG2 Specs. Can I use a S-ATA 3 drive such as this to replace it? Thank you for your input. Bill
    Your pretty much confined to the type of controler that is on the board, especially a laptop. With a desktop, you
    may have a little more wiggle room.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.