New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings: I'm running Win7Pro on a basic Core i530 w/4G memory & dual monitors.

Any desktop IE shortcuts show as plain black squares (or are they cubes...I didn't measure.) Going through the right click>properties>change icon shows the proper icon. I can change the icon with no difference on the desktop. Since I'm running the same version os Windows on my laptop which has the same wallpaper but not this problem it seems to me that maybe I've tweaked something that I shouldn't have. Unfortunately there have been many tweaks & untweaks so I can't say exactly what has been done. As a simple test I just now removed my wallpaper & changed the desktop to white. After my eyes adjusted, I could see that the IE icons are now white squares/cubes. I have turned transparency on and off with no effect.

I have included a small screen shot that displays my problem. Tracking The Eye.NET is not an ID shortcut.

Any suggestions will be received with joy.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi Chuck, sadly your black boxes dont show in image you posted. Try right clicking desktop and hit 'refresh'.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Chuck,

Right click Desktop, choose Personalize. Is Allow themes to change desktop icons checked? If so uncheck it. Try changing the desktop icons to some obviously different, colorful icons and see what they look like. It is very possible this theme is setting icons for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't figured out how to reply to each of you individually so this will have to cover both of you:

1) My error, they aren't black but transparent. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance\Enable Transparency has absolutely no effect.

2) Allow themes to change desktop icons doesn't seem to be on any of the Personalize pages

Thx for the effort

Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lingo View Post
    I haven't figured out how to reply to each of you individually so this will have to cover both of you:

1) My error, they aren't black but transparent. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance\Enable Transparency has absolutely no effect.

2) Allow themes to change desktop icons doesn't seem to be on any of the Personalize pages

Thx for the effort

Chuck
    Sorry, left off one step, Personalize, then Change Desktop Icons (left side pane), then uncheck Allow themes to change desktop icons. Sorry again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I't looks to me like one of your tweaks may have been to remove short cut arrows from icons?
    This has happened to me previously with my windows 7 installation and has resulted in something similar; Black block
    where an icon should be.
    What I did to resolve this is just restore the short cut arrows, if this is indeed the case what program or tweak did you employ?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.