New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just reinstalled Windows Vista on my Dell Inspiron laptop. Whenever I am typing in an application such as Word or my gmail account, the mouse cursor will jump around and relocate. I thought maybe it was my palm on the touch pad, but it isn't. Any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you visited the Dell web site to ensure you have the latest drivers for the mouse, touch-pad etc., especially making sure the drivers are the right one for the OS?

Thanks
    I would have to believe that somewhere on the Dell support site you will find the drivers you need for your touchpad. Since I did not have the model I could not get any closer. It sure does sound like a driver issue. I know Sony has drivers for my Alps touchpad on their site so I have to believe Dell does as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Joe,

I have had this problem several times on more than one laptop, and I have found that it is just a slight brush of my finger or thumb on the touchpad, barely even perceptible. In fact, the only way I was able to confirm I was touching the pad was to disable the pad. When I disabled the touchpad, and used a mouse, the problem disappeared. Whenever I enabled the touchpad, the problem reappeared. Some of the gestures in todays touchpads require very little pressure to activate.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In fact, the only way I was able to confirm I was touching the pad was to disable the pad. When I disabled the touchpad, and used a mouse, the problem disappeared. Whenever I enabled the touchpad, the problem reappeared. Some of the gestures in todays touchpads require very little pressure to activate
    I gave up on my touch pad mouse. Purchased a Microsoft 3000 wireless. Have never looked back since.
    Michael

Thanks
    This is the mouse I use on my laptop as I'm all thumbs. It has great design features. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p...e/devices/6383
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    I use a MS Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000, but still use the touchpad at times, so I want it working as well. Mine does seem touchy at times, but I have learned to live with it and work around it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy