New Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife,s HP 6000 Laptop has recently failed to show in My Computer its combined cd/dvd drive. A check in device manager reveals that Vista can't see the drive. Also very recently the speaker icon has a red cross on it as if it is muted. It is actually the sound card that has disappeared when device manager is viewed.

I have used HPs own recovery programme to return the machine to its original state and whilst this has allowed me to recover the sound card in in device manager however there is still no sign of the cd/dvd drive.

The drive light does light and when the tray is closed the drive does spin.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Stuart

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I'm wondering if the drivers have become corrupt. I would check the HP support site for a possible solution.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post but I have already tried the HP support site

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
    I have used HPs own recovery programme to return the machine to its original state and whilst this has allowed me to recover the sound card in in device manager however there is still no sign of the cd/dvd drive.
    Any assistance is greatly appreciated
    Stuart
    Stuart, Hello...
    If you check in the "BIOS" at boot time can you see the CD\DVD drive ?
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    It's also possible that it could be a hardware related issue, especially if it will not show up in the bios & in device manager.
    A loose data cable, or just plain broken drive may be a possibility.

If you have used HP recovery to revert to factory default, then that will have taken care of any driver issue. But it doesn't
    appear to be the case.
    Do you have any warranty left on the HP laptop?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, I checked the bios and there is a n atapi drive listed and the sound card has now vanished.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
    Fred, I checked the bios and there is a n atapi drive listed and the sound card has now vanished.
    Stuart,
    I have to agree with Clints post, that it sounds like a "hardware" problem with the cd \dvd ..As far as the sound card ..in my BIOS set up (PhoenixAward BIOS v6- 5.27) there isn't anything shown for a "sound card" Just the drives and all the various settings ... so i can't say whether your BIOS is somewhat different than mine...When you see the cd\dvd in the BIOS is it "enabled", or are there any settings associated with it ? Regards Fred

PS: Do you have any programs installed that can be set to "Hide Drives" I have several like "Winbubble" that you can set to hide whatever drive (letter) you want . also some Partition managers can be set this way as well.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The sound card disappeared from device manager