Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two Windows 7 Ultimate PCs, one 64 bit, one 32 bit, with Homegroups set up on each machine, so sharing pictures etc is working well. The 32 bit machine has a 2 TB external USB HD, and I use Windows backup on that machine. However, I also want to backup Homegroups that are located on the other machine, in essence, \\OtherPC\Users\User1\ or Homegroup\User1 (OtherPC), depending on whether you drill into the remote PC via Homegroups or Network.

Unfortunately, Windows backup does not recognize Homegroup locations on the other machine. I have also tried Winzip's backup function, but no luck. Even if I manually edit the Winzip job file (.wjf), which is basically an xml document, and add a line such as <item exclude="no" recurse="yes">\\OtherPC\Users\User1\</item>, which is how all other folders on the local machine are included or excluded, Winzip generates an error.

I have used Network Magic in the past, but since I just reinstalled Win 7, I decided I no longer needed it, and just work with libraries and Homegroups instead. But with Network Magic's shared folders, I was able to backup shared folders from the other PC.

Do I have to go back to Network Magic, or does anyone know of a way to backup Homegroups from another PC?

Bonus question: when I scheduled my weekly Windows 7 backup, I also made a system image, but later edited the schedule not to include the system image. I did not want to create a weekly image, mostly because it takes too long to back up the entire image to an external USB drive. The question I have: does anyone know if the system image is recreated from scratch if it's included in the backup schedule, or does Windows do an incremental backup?

Thanks much!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    I have two Windows 7 Ultimate PCs, one 64 bit, one 32 bit, with Homegroups set up on each machine, so sharing pictures etc is working well. The 32 bit machine has a 2 TB external USB HD, and I use Windows backup on that machine. However, I also want to backup Homegroups that are located on the other machine, in essence, \\OtherPC\Users\User1\ or Homegroup\User1 (OtherPC), depending on whether you drill into the remote PC via Homegroups or Network.

Unfortunately, Windows backup does not recognize Homegroup locations on the other machine. I have also tried Winzip's backup function, but no luck. Even if I manually edit the Winzip job file (.wjf), which is basically an xml document, and add a line such as <item exclude="no" recurse="yes">\\OtherPC\Users\User1\</item>, which is how all other folders on the local machine are included or excluded, Winzip generates an error.

I have used Network Magic in the past, but since I just reinstalled Win 7, I decided I no longer needed it, and just work with libraries and Homegroups instead. But with Network Magic's shared folders, I was able to backup shared folders from the other PC.

Do I have to go back to Network Magic, or does anyone know of a way to backup Homegroups from another PC?

Bonus question: when I scheduled my weekly Windows 7 backup, I also made a system image, but later edited the schedule not to include the system image. I did not want to create a weekly image, mostly because it takes too long to back up the entire image to an external USB drive. The question I have: does anyone know if the system image is recreated from scratch if it's included in the backup schedule, or does Windows do an incremental backup?

Thanks much!
    I think you have to back up each PC on it's own. I do not think you can back up PC2 from PC1 across the network without specialized S/W. The description does not show back up functions for this app, just setup and management of home networks. I actually have a Cisco Linksys router which included Netwrok Magic S/W. I found the Win 7 network setup worked better for me.

I believe the back up will do a complete backup or an incremental back up depending on options you choose. Since I do not use the built i Win 7 Backup and Restore, I am not totally sure of this. Acronis does allow this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    \\OtherPC\Users\User1\</item>
    If you put this path into a windows explorer window or browse to it from the command prompt, does it open and work? I would suspect a permissions problem but am not familiar with the winzip backup you are using.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, re. "I think you have to back up each PC on it's own." - I agree, that's probably the case. That's one improvement I'd like to see in SP1 :-) You could provide the homegroup password to be stored with the job.
    mercyh, re. "...does it open and work?" - yes, I can browse to the other library. I can also right-click on the other library to add it when creating a zip file. Just not when creating a backup job. Maybe'll I open a ticket with Winzip.

I wonder why Network Magic can do this, but Win7 cannot...

Thanks to both of you for replying!
    Klaus