New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 2000 vs ME

I am in the process of purchasing a laptop and am wondering which OS is better. I seem to recall reading in one of the newsletters about some incompatibility problems with programs that run fine on Windows 98.

I am a technical writer and will be using this system for work. I primarily use Office 97 and Dreamweaver/Homesite for work. I don't do any heavy graphics work, but do want to be able to utilize Corel Draw or Photoshop. I will also be using Quicken 2000 and Norton System Works. For the web, I prefer Netscape, even for email.

I am also curious about any possible driver problems. I have an HP Scanjet5300C, Deskjet 820Cxi printer, and an IBM C70 17in monitor.

Thanks in advance for any comments/opinions/suggestions.

Thanks

Re: Windows 2000 vs ME

As far as hardware goes, the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/>Hardware Compatability Guide</A> at MS lists
    HP 820Cxi as compatible with W2K but untested with ME
    HP 5300C as compatible with W2K, compatible with some versions with ME
    The monitor is probably going to be dependent on the driver, check with the laptop manufacturer.

Other comments can be found in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=win&Number=78002&page=&view =&sb=&o=&vc=1>Post 78002</A>

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 2000 vs ME

Hi
    HP Deskjet 820Cxi works fine with Win 2kP and XPP (I know, as that's my printer as well). It's a bit long in the tooth, though, for a professional writer.
    My advice would be not to even think about ME : it's the worst OS yet in terms of bugs and stability . On the other hand, Win2kP is the most stable. XP is also good, but various controversies are presently raging.
    Having said that, I must tell you that my advice would also have been not to bother with Netscrape. Why settle for second best? If you're considering future upgrades, I'd change to IE (6.0 if you dare) post-haste. I don't suppose for one moment you want yet another MS freek telling you why...