New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,

I know it is old but I still like Office 2003 and want to continue to use it with WINDOWS 7. My problem is with Outlook -- it randomly (but frequently) freezes during send/receive OR says it must restart. The few times it ask me if I wanted to find a solution, it fails. I have stopped Copernic and Google Calendar, the only two add-ins I have added. I do run Norton NIS 2010 but have turned off AntiSpam. I have used the DETECT AND REPAIR option multiple times. I am using IMAP with GOOGLEMAIL and set the SERVER TIMEOUT to 10 minutes (maximum). The only program that is running that is related to Outlook is Windows Mobile Device Center (as I have a PDA phone that I sync for calendar and contacts -- and no, it does not only fail if the PDA is connected). Here is what I always see in the EVENT LOG:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 11.0.8169.0, time stamp: 0x465f28e3
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b21e
    Exception code: 0xc0000264
    Fault offset: 0x0009f86d
    Faulting process id: 0x1220
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb22865bc4e806
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 4b8ebe5c-8e90-11df-bc90-8000600fe800

Event ID 1000
    Level Error

Any one have any ideas as to what is going on? It never did it on this computer before my upgrade (clean install) to WINDOWS 7 (32 bit).

Thanks for any ideas.

Frank

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Have you run scanpst.exe on your PST?
    2. Is your PST Unicode or pre-Outlook-2003 format? What is the size of your PST on disk?
    3. Have you set Outlook to run in XP compatibility mode?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBF View Post
    2. Is your PST Unicode or pre-Outlook-2003 format? What is the size of your PST on disk?
    Hi,

Thank you for the assistance. Here are my answers:

No, I had not run scanpst.exe so I did that on both files. It did find errors. Time will tell if that fixed it.

My PST files are not pre-Outlook-2003 and the largest is 517 Meg. The second is only 265K. I am not sure about it being Unicode. How can I check?

I had tried to run Outlook in XP compatibility mode but it failed to work -- had trouble setting up my IMAP accounts (failed). Once I unchecked this property, I had no problems creating them.

Frank

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBF View Post

UPDATE: Outlook just stopped working and restarted itself. I noticed it was in SEND/RECEIVE mode at 16%...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank in Michigan View Post
    No, I had not run scanpst.exe so I did that on both files. It did find errors. Time will tell if that fixed it. My PST files are not pre-Outlook-2003 and the largest is 517 Meg. The second is only 265K. I am not sure about it being Unicode. How can I check?

I had tried to run Outlook in XP compatibility mode but it failed to work -- had trouble setting up my IMAP accounts (failed). Once I unchecked this property, I had no problems creating them.

UPDATE: Outlook just stopped working and restarted itself. I noticed it was in SEND/RECEIVE mode at 16%...
    If your PST Properties show "Office Outlook Personal Folders File" they are Unicode, if they show "Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File" they are not. But either way your PST files are too small to be problematic, and though maintenance with scanpst.exe is always helpful, I don't think it will solve your problem.

Based on your answers and your subsequent post, I don't have any good ideas. How long has it been since you installed Outlook 2003 on your Win 7 machine? It may help to rebuild your Mail Profile.

When you installed Outlook 2003 onto Windows 7, did you bring it up to SP3? SP3 is required for Win 7 compatibility: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en. Also, have a look here and see if you spot anything: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...Outlook%202003

EDIT: this page seems to cover Win 7 compatibility issues in an orderly manner: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/win7upgrade.htm
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Any chance you are running Ad-Aware? I found the Ad-Aware email scanner kept crashing my Outlook (in my case Outlook 2000). After uninstalling the Ad-Ad-Ad-Aware application (separate from basic Ad-Aware), my problem went away.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Green View Post
    Any chance you are running Ad-Aware? I found the Ad-Aware email scanner kept crashing my Outlook (in my case Outlook 2000). After uninstalling the Ad-Ad-Ad-Aware application (separate from basic Ad-Aware), my problem went away.
    Hi,

No -- I am not running it, but I do have Norton Internet Security 2010 which has some sort of safe surfing scanner.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My company also uses Outlook 2003, and I have a similar problem (using XP SP3). I did notice that it seems to be linked to forwarding an HTML-style e-mail (my default style is rich text). It only happens when I receive an HTML-formatted mail, forward it, type what I need to, and press "Send". Then the spell checker kicks in, and after the last error correction (English is my 2nd language), it will just hang. But there is no consistency, it does not seem to happen all the time. I also have not found a solution for it.

But in my case, it does not restart - I have to force a close by using the task manager CTRL-ALT-DEL to close the application (and loose all typed text!). HTH - it may put you onto something, or just be not applicable.

Thanks
    To verify that an add in is causing your problem, try running outlook in safe mode to see if the problem goes away:
    Hold the ctrl key down when you click on the shortcut to start Outlook to run in Safe Mode.

Jerry