New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all.

Been away from Office development for some time now but am in need of urgent help!

My compnay is finally looking at some upgrades. Due to a major internal change, they want to standardise everyone to Office 2003. If we're upgrading I want them to move to 2010 for a number of reasons.

However, we have many small apps that are depolyed using the Access Run time environment. Upgrading seems to mean moving to Visual Studio. Can this be confirmed?

Is Access still available as RT? What about things like the Calendar Control or Common Dialog control?

I'm getting lost amongst the maze of seemingly new terminology out there on the MS site!

Can any body advise or point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Andy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree with your assessment - why upgrade to an 8-year old product when a new one is available. The Access Run Time version for 2010 is currently available, and it will still run applications based on the .mdb format, so if your applications aren't complex and don't use automation or ActiveX controls you should be able to upgrade those will little or no development effort. Also, upgrading does not involve going to Visual Studio - unless you want to use SQL Server back-ends. The Calendar Control is no longer provided with Access, but forms have a builtin facility that provides most of the functions of the OCX. The Common Dialog should still work as far as I know.

The one major hurdle you will probably encounter is the change in the User Interface from Office 2000/2/3 to Office 2007/10. Experienced users, especially power users, really tend not to like the ribbon and quick access toolbar, but novice users find it easier. Hope this provides some background for you.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for your answer. I think I got tunnel vision on the MS site in terms of VS Studio apps and missed the key points.

It would seem that you know longer need a Developer edtion to distribute the Access RT and the Package and Deployment wizard is built in.

I can't find anything anywhere about the Common Dialog Control though. Is this still available?

Also, why do you say "upgrading does not involve going to Visual Studio - unless you want to use SQL Server back-ends"? Are you not able to simply link them anymore or use .adp files?

Thanks, Andy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is true that you no longer need a Developer edition - there isn't one. And the Common Dialog Control OCX (which is always problematic) is no longer provided (if you have the OCX you can probably still reference it). See How to use the Common Dialog API in a database in Access 2003 or Access 2007 for what Microsoft suggests, and API: Call the standard Windows File Open/Save dialog box for an approach that Ken Getz originally created. They appear to be functionally very similar.

I'm not sure how you would use Visual Studio to do Access VBA - but I suppose you could. I always work in the VBA editor for that sort of thing. And Access does continue the existing support for ADPs with a set of development tools - though ADPs are not getting any new enhancements as I understand it. The generally accepted approach is to use ODBC connections to link to tables in SQL Server. If you are working with SQL Server back-ends and want to do things the ADP tools in Access don't support, then you will need to use the SQL Server Management Studio, which looks a whole lot like Visual Studio. Hope that helps.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for you help with this and pointing me in the right direction with links.

Andy