Lounger
    Thanks
    When I save an Excel 2000 file (running XP SP3), I get a message "Document saved successfully. Cannot reopen the saved document due to low memory. Please close the document." Task manager shows >.5GB physical memory available. This happens with all but one excel file that lives only on a flash drive, and occasionally with one other that lives in the MyDocuments folder on my hard drive. MS support site offers solutions that haven't worked.

This development is recent. Began using computer (got it used but cleaned up from my tech support guys) in December 2009, problem started a few months after that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Lenore,

How much free space is available on the Flash Drive? There may not be enough space for the temporary working file to be created. Try copying one to the hard drive and see if you can open it.
    As for the one on the hard drive I don't have a clue unless it's a very large file and you are very low on hard drive space.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    I very much doubt that it's a space issue. The subject flash drive is a 2GB drive with 1.5GB free; my C drive is 160GB with 150GB free.

The file that works properly is the one on the flash drive. As far as I can determine, all my other excel files -- on that flash drive, on other flash drives, and on the C drive -- can be saved only once.

Here's where it gets interesting. I tried the flash drive on another computer. All the excel files I tested there behaved as they should: I could save them repeatedly. So evidently the problem is not in the files, nor on the flash drive.

I then ran a search (on the original computer) for excel.exe, wondering whether I perhaps had more than one program file and somehow was using one with the file that works and another with the files that don't work. In the process, I found three other excel files: a prefetch file and, in a Temp folder, excel.exe.hdmp and excel.exe.mdmp. I moved the hdmp and mdmp files, along with the rest of the contents of that Temp folder (all but three items that wouldn't move), into another folder, restarted my system, and -- mirabile dictu! -- I was able (after months of frustration) to execute repeat saves on every excel file I opened.

So my problem is solved -- I'm not quite sure why, but I've at least found a new diagnostic technique or two.

I thank you for trying to help. And, if you've read this far, I also thank you for your patience and hope that my tale of woe and joy might help someone else solve other problems.

Lounger
    Thanks
    A day or so after my last post, the problem resurfaced.

And then a very strange thing happened: two days ago I removed an HP SimpleSave PHD from my system and eliminated all visible references to it (see my thread HP SimpleSave Backup Failure), and the "unable to save problem" disappeared (and so did an unreported problem with MS Word, where automatic backup was disabled).

This reinforces my decision not to pursue further remedies to the PHD issue. While it was a nice idea -- automatic backups -- the HP SimpleSave seems to have caused more problems than it solved.

Again, thanks to all who helped.