Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an old Gateway XP with Media Center 2004. All had been going well. However now when I stick a blank DVD+RW in my burner DVD drive,and auto run comes up, it shows the disk to be a CD, not a DVD and I cannot use Roxio (also an old version) to burn data files to it. The drive functions right otherwise. It reads files on a CD, burns files to a CDR. Plays music files from a CD. Just sees DVD+RW's as a CD. The listing in Windows Explorer also changes from DVD+RW to CD as you insert the DVD in the drive.
    I don't know if this is a hardware problem or what. Device Manager says the device is functioning properly. Some of the drivers listed for that DVD drive are from Roxio but since I can't find my original Roxio Install CD, I am reluctant to uninstall this drive and reboot.

Any ideas on a cure? Would uninstalling Roxio and installing Nero do any good? How do you format a DVD+RW or -RW?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    kwhiz01

Thanks
    What is listed in Device Manager for you writer? Any reference to CD/DVD, DVD specifically?

Uninstalling the device in device manage should not have any effect on the roxio application that is installed.
    What your looking to do in the uninstallation is to have the os redetect the device, and hopefully, re-initialize the drivers
    that the native XP os has for them. It is possible that they may have become corrupted over time.

There are also plenty of free alternatives to Roxio.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows XP does not natively recognise DVD writers. I usually leave the standard CD drivers in and then use CDBurnerXP to burn DVDs (and CDs).

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Device Manager shows it as a trouble-free Lite-On DVD-RW SOWH1633S so it is seeing it as a DVDRW drive. We had another drive in the computer when it started causing this problem so switched to the Lite-On which I know was working in another XP Pro computer. Still had the problem.

We are going to try installing and running Nero (uninstalling Roxio first). If that doesn't solve the problem, will try the free version of aShampoo. Somewhere along the line we will uninstall the DVDRW drive and reboot. If all of that does not work, then it probably is time to go to Windows 7 anyway.

Thanks again.

Karl

Lounger
    Thanks
    I too would recommend CDBurnerXP - over Ashampoo. I've tried both for extended periods and find CDBurnerXP much more reliable. When I opt to verify after writing, Ashampoo written disks frequently fail to verify.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your help. We installed aShampoo and CDBurnerXP and both worked fine. Guess our old Roxio ver 5 just bit the dust. Thanks again.