Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Imaging with Macrium Reflect Free 4.2

1> From the starting screen select the Create a Backup Image Icon..

[attachment=89304:1.jpg]

2> In the wizard, click next, and then select the disk or partition you wish to image. In my example we will only image our C: partition on disk #2.

[attachment=89305:2.jpg]

Click Next

3> We now choose the location to store our backup. I am using an internal local disk with the drive letter X: (Here we could choose a removable disk or network shared location).

[attachment=89306:3.jpg]

Click NEXT and you will see the following screen.

[attachment=89307:4.jpg]

4> At this point I can simply click Finish and then OK in the confirmation screen and the backup will run. If I chose to fine-tune compression or other settings, I would go into the advanced button.

After hitting finish I get one more screen asking me what I want to do with the job settings I have just created.

[attachment=89308:5.jpg]

Hit the OK button and your backup job will run. In about 30 minutes you will have an image that can return your C: partition precisely to the state it is in now.

We have one more task to complete before we are done. We need to create our rescue boot disk.

1>From the main screen select Other Tasks then Create Rescue CD

[attachment=89309:6.jpg]

2> I have always been able to use the Linux CD with no trouble but YMMV

[attachment=89310:7.jpg]

Click NEXT

3> Put a blank CD in your CD writer, Make sure the correct drive is selected and press finish

[attachment=89311:8.jpg]

Be sure to test that your PC can boot from the above CD and that you can see the image that you created in step one. It is also a [s]good idea [/s]IMPERATIVE to mount the image from inside Macrium and make sure you can see and open the files on it to verify that it is a viable image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (65.5 KB, 70 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (28.9 KB, 47 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (60.7 KB, 41 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (60.5 KB, 34 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (35.2 KB, 35 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (88.8 KB, 35 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (74.7 KB, 37 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (61.1 KB, 32 views)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mounting the image to manually verify it.

This is also a very simple process.

1> From the main screen select the browse image icon

[attachment=89313:9.JPG]

2> Select the image you wish to browse by placing a checkmark in the box beside it, you will then be able to click the "drive letter" field and get a dropdown list of all available drive letters. Assign a letter you like and press OK.

[attachment=89314:10.JPG]

The image should open in a standard windows explorer window and you will see an exact replica of the files from the drive that you imaged. You can go into this new drive and open the files just like you were on the original drive.

If you wish to not leave this drive mounted, the next icon over from the browse image icon in the first screenshot is the "detach mounted image" icon and will allow you to unmount the image and remove that drive letter from windows explorer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Macrium Reflect Free also has a manual verification wizard

1>From the main screen click the "verify image" icon

[attachment=89315:11.JPG]

When the wizard pops up click NEXT and you will get this screen:

[attachment=89316:12.JPG]

2>Select the location where you save your image(s) and then select the image you wish to verify, hit NEXT and then in the following screen hit VERIFY and verification will run.

[attachment=89317:13.JPG]

This process will take about as long as original image creation but can run in the background while you are posting answers in the lounge...

Thanks
    Mercyh,

Thank you so much for lending your invaluable knowledge to my original post and taking the time to start this thread for Macrium Reflect. I believe that there are many out there who do not Image/Clone because it appears too intimidating. Little do they know that it is, but it can save your bacon and make recovery or moving to a new PC so much quicker and easier. Again, thank you!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    applause to both of these threads, extremely helpful. In my saved list for future referrals.
    registered Linux user:476595

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way to overwrite the previous image when creating a new image with the same name or, better yet, is there a way to delete a number of previous images when they exceed a selected number? I find that the images are beginning to pile up if I forget to periodically go to the backup location and delete all but 2 o3. There should be a way to do this in the settings but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The paid version has image management. The free version does not.

If you are into .bat scripting you can write a batch file using the forfiles command to delete all images older than XX# of days. You can then use the task scheduler to run it on whatever schedule you prefer.

Here is the Microsoft documentation on the FORFILES command.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753551(WS.10).aspx

WARNING, anytime you do delete processes with a batch file, Test TEst TEST before you turn it loose on your production machine....

I would consider the Macrium Free version to be a somewhat manual process although you can schedule the backups themselves with it.

The bottom of the following page has the comparison of features between the free and full versions:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mercyh, thanks for your suggestion. I downloaded the paid version and now I am able to control the number of saved images and also VERIFY the image immediately after creation which I consider important and further puts my mind at ease. To others using the FREE version: Go ahead and get the paid version. It is well worth the money and it has the extra features you need and makes it one of the best imaging programs available.

Thanks again.

John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pringle View Post
    Mercyh, thanks for your suggestion. I downloaded the paid version and now I am able to control the number of saved images and also VERIFY the image immediately after creation which I consider important and further puts my mind at ease. To others using the FREE version: Go ahead and get the paid version. It is well worth the money and it has the extra features you need and makes it one of the best imaging programs available.

Thanks again.

John
    Thanks for your input. The two features you speak about above are very important. If you do not wish to do them manually, by all means get the paid version as it is IMPERATIVE that you verify that the image is good....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My 250 GB SATA hard drive has failed. Fortunately, I have a fresh Macrium image and a new spare 500 GB on the shelf ready to go. After the restoration I will have approximately 250 GB of free space on the new drive at the end of the partition and I would like to stretch the partition to utilize all of the free space on the new drive. Now here is my question: During the restoration I am asked whether I want to copy the MBR from the image. I assume the answer is NO since the MBR contains the partition size which is 250 GB and I need a new partition size of 500 GB on the new drive. I guess my question is: Is this a logical assumption and at what point do I make the new partition 500 GB? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think if you want to boot and go after you restore you will need to copy it. (this is assuming you are using a clean unformatted drive.)

I would use another of my favorite free utilities from easeus:
    http://www.partition-tool.com/
    to resize the partition how you want it after you are up and running.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are open to suggestions on this idea of extending the partition, I would suggest that you SHRINK the C: partition to about 100gb and put the rest of the disk into a second partition for storage.

This keeps your Operating system, programs and user folders on C: which you can image. Your nonessential files such as downloads, install files, etc. can be kept on the second partition. This keeps your images down to a more manageable size.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds good! Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know how I make out.

John

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK! I'm a newbie to the world of image backups and I just successfully created a Macrium Reflect image backup on eight DVDs (~60 GB of stuff on my HD), and then a Linux Rescue CD -- all by following your beautifully laid-out instructions.

Note: I would love to have saved it to a second (internal) hard drive on my PC, but it's an all-in-one with room for only one, and at the moment I don't have the $$$ to buy an external hard drive.

Question: Let's say I get into trouble and I need to restore my machine (running Windows 7) from my image stored on the 8 DVDs. I just read in the instructions that "It is IMPERATIVE to mount the image from inside Macrium. . . " Unfortunately for me, the instructions don't tell me how to do that. Specifically, how do I run Macrium if my HD is wiped out? Is it on the Rescue CD? It would be nice if the instructions covered this important point.

Could someone please elaborate for me? Thanks!

Frank D

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In your case you will possibly no be able to mount the image (I am not sure as I have never split an image across DVD's like you have) I think that you should be able to verify the image though using the instructions above. I think Macrium will ask for each of the dvd's as it goes through the verification process.......

see the following thread from Macrium's forum:
    http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1859

If your hard drive is wiped out, you will replace the drive with a new one of equal or larger size [s]and using the windows rescue CD (or some other bootable partitioning and format tool) will partition and format the new disk.[/s] (the linux rescue cd should be able to manage the whole process on its own).. You will then boot with the linux rescue CD and tell it you want to restore the image, pointing it to your dvd drive. Macrium should then begin asking you for your first image dvd and run through them all until the image has been restored.

On an all in one like you describe I think I would create a bootable rescue USB flash drive (if it is within your budget) using the tutorial here:
    http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/09/...xUSBStick.aspx

This would allow you to leave the bootable stick in the machine while rotating the image media in the DVD drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast