Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Vista Home Premium. My Hard drive has two partitions, one for the Windows OS and Program Files and the other for my data.

I have noticed the constant mysterious disappearance of free space from my C dive. Searching for it with various system software packages turns up nothing, and setting my folder options to show all software and OS allocations also sheds no clue. But when I run cleanmgr.exe and select the option "to remove all but the most restore point" miraculously 5-20 GB suddenly reappear as free space on drive C. Obviously this is my problem, the accumulation of old restore points. How can I keep this from happening?
    Curt

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you run a good defrag program?

You might try this one http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

Auslogics Disk Defrag is a compact and fast defragmenter that supports both FAT 16/32, and NTFS file systems. It is supplied with advanced optimization techniques, which will remedy your system sluggishness and crashes caused by files fragmentation.

Optimizes file system

This tool will speed up your computer and make it run more smoothly by moving system files to the faster part of the disk and clearing the MFT Reserved Zone from regular data files.

Consolidates free space

Disk Defrag doesn't only defragment files - it prevents further files fragmentation by merging free space on the disk into a large contiguous block.

Can defrag automatically

You can set the program to run automatically when your system goes idle. It will analyze the disks and defragment them in the background if required. With this feature your files fragmentation will be eliminated as soon as it occurs.

hope that helps

Thanks
    Curt, Welcome to the Lounge!

I suspect in addition to restore points, your PC stores temp files of all kinds each time you, for example, go to a web site, or open a program, or any number of things. Windows also creates log files at a sometimes alarming rate. These are all normal processes that Windows goes through while functioning correctly. This is why many of us advocate cleaning these files out periodically.

Right Click on My Computer and select properties. In the left panel select System protection. Under the system protection tab choose configure to set the size of your system restore. I chose a max usage of 1 % of my HD. (These are all Win 7 locations, but if I remember correctly they are similar to Vista) I find that having 2 or 3 restore points is a good thing. With today's large HDs I believe 1 % is plenty of space. I have 4 or 5 restore points in that 1 %, and that's plenty. If you have a smaller HD, then perhaps a little more than 1 % is appropriate. You will have to decide.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Curt, and welcome to the Lounge!

Check this How To Geek article on how to limit the maximum hard drive space to be used by System Restore.

Vista's System Restore by default can take as much as 15% of your hard drive space.

BTW, It is easier to adjust the maximum space used in Windows 7.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    5-20GB is not a lot of space in this day and age. Ultimately, you must expand the C partition anyway. I suggest that you either get a larger drive and/or allocate more space to the C partition.

What has been said about regulating the size of System Restore data is true. You should do that first, but keep in mind that when a PC is taken over with malware and is joined to a "botnet", it may be forced to download tons of data so that it can be used to spam other PCs. It's always a good idea to scan your PC for malware regularly. Use Superantispyware or Malwarebytes to be sure. Use regularly.

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button
    MS MCP, MCSE, MVP

Thanks
    I have noted before in the Lounge that I have a friend who bought a Vista-64 laptop, while I have just bought a Windows 7 64-bit laptop. His hard drive started filling up with something, and the used space rose to over 200GB before shrinking down to more normal levels. While my Windows 7 laptop rarely goes above 35GB used space (no data files on my Windows Partition), and does not grow much. I suspect this is due to much more than Temp Files and System Restore Points. Windows 7 64-bit seems to do a much better job of managing disk space and Windows resources than Windows Vista 64-bit. It appears to be just a fact of life.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your attention to my problem.

I have and had been running auslogics defrag and while it is a great piece of software it never was able to recover the lost HD space that system restore was mysteriously consuming.

The C drive has normally about 30GB of free space. Other wise the drive has a total of 75 GB which I think is plenty for the OS and the program files. Data is stored on another partition.

My vista ver is a 32 bit OS.

AFAICT, Vista doesn't allow the easy management of the system restore settings and I was unable to access the system restore space allocation as Ted Myers found is possible on 7.

But Gerald Shepherd's link to the Hot to Geek article seems like a bulls eye answer. Once I get on as an administrator I'll report back on my success.

Thanks

Curt

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Degler View Post
    Thanks for all your attention to my problem.

I have and had been running auslogics defrag and while it is a great piece of software it never was able to recover the lost HD space that system restore was mysteriously consuming.

The C drive has normally about 30GB of free space. Other wise the drive has a total of 75 GB which I think is plenty for the OS and the program files. Data is stored on another partition.

My vista ver is a 32 bit OS.

AFAICT, Vista doesn't allow the easy management of the system restore settings and I was unable to access the system restore space allocation as Ted Myers found is possible on 7.

But Gerald Shepherd's link to the Hot to Geek article seems like a bulls eye answer. Once I get on as an administrator I'll report back on my success.

Thanks

Curt
    If thats works good, if not resolved using Ccleaner have you checked how many restore points are there?
    I use Paragon (paid version) to check and manage my hard drive.
    You might consider running the Seagate
    SeaTools is a comprehensive, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that helps you quickly determine the condition of the disk drive in your external hard drive, desktop or laptop computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your Seagate or Maxtor disk drive and any other non-Seagate disk drive.

Tools < http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...loads/seatools >

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Degler View Post

Did not remember Vista does not work as easily as Win 7. Another possibility is shown in this link.

Edit: Sorry, just checked Gerald's link, shows same procedure. Sorry for the duplicate info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I have personally found system restore as useful as a chocolate teapot, so it is disabled. If I am doing anything that might upset the applecart, I make an 'image' of my PC with Acronis, usually in under 4 minutes.

[attachment=89371:1.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I have personally found system restore as useful as a chocolate teapot.
    Roderunner ,
    WELL SAID ! Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    32-bit Vista should not be expanding like this. Unless some programs are running in some sort of Compatibility Mode, I see no reason for the used space to be expanding, especially if there are not a lot of programs being installed, updated, or uninstalled. I would be looking for any evidence of a keylogger or other program which could be creating large files for uploading or logging. Something legitimate may be doing this, but I am becoming suspicious that the culprit is a bot or keylogger here. My observations about 64-bit Vista vs. Windows 7 do not apply to this situation.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Roderunner ,
    WELL SAID ! Regards Fred
    Thanks my friend. I have never heard of anyone using S R successfully, Have You?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Thanks my friend. I have never heard of anyone using S R successfully, Have You?

I actually have once or twice, but that was before I started Imaging on a regular basis, and had fewer choices to fix something I broke. Otherwise, no. I do not disable it, only because it is another option for system files, but I limit it's allocated space considerably from what MS thinks is an appropriate amount.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I have successfully used SR on at least three occasions, for which I was very grateful, considering I have seen it fail on even more occasions.

Due to some successes with SR, I keep it activated, but have placed it on a hard drive space diet so to speak.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast