New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having a strange problem on one of my computers. I recently installed two new drives with USB enclosures. After they were set up, I went into PROPERTIES and set up the SHARING so I can access them from my other computer across my home network. No problem, everything is set up and works fine. However, whenever I shut down that computer and reboot it, the sharing settings disappear for those two new drives and I have to re-set them all over again. Since these are large drives, it takes a while for the permissions to be set, and, now that the drives are getting filled up, it takes even longer. None of my other drives on this machine, nor my external drives on my other machine ever lose their Sharing settings upon reboot. Is there a setting somewhere, maybe in the registry, where I can permanently set the sharing properties for these two drives? I am running XP SP2 on the machine in question. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are they retaining the same drive letter as was in use before the shut down?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, and as soon as I click the blue lettering (If you know about sharing, blah, blah, blah), and check the first box, the same names I assigned to each of the drives on the network show up in the box too. It's just not saving the sharing settings when the computer is rebooted. I'm not doing anything different than when I setup the sharing for the rest of the drives on that computer, and when I set up the enclosure drives on the other computer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Could be that they are both trying to connect at the same time and time out. If they have a external power source, I would boot the machine with them OFF, and then turn one at a time on. If they retain the sharing then I would say it is a timing thing.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Lazarus,

Check out this link it doesn't directly address your problem but it seems to have solved problems for several people having trouble sharing USBs over a network.

Should I sign this R.A.H?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    >Could be that they are both trying to connect at the same time and time out. If they have a external power source, I would boot the machine with
    >them OFF, and then turn one at a time on. If they retain the sharing then I would say it is a timing thing

Dave,

They each have their own power sources, and I already turn them both off when I boot up - even though the system isn't setup to recognize USB drives until Windows is completely running, it does notice the drives if they're on, and freezes the bootup until they are turned back off the way a non-boot floppy or CD sometimes does. And I already do turn them back on one at a time - I don't turn the second one on until the first one shows up in my drive list. However, no matter whether I turn them on together, one at a time, or just use one of them, when the computer reboots, the shared settings are gone as if they had never been set. That's why I'm thinking that a setting isn't being permanently changed. The only variation I haven't tried is to, instead of turning off the enclosure power sources, to simply unplug the USB cables while booting. Okay, I tried something a few different ways. First, I disconnected the USB drives and turned them off, then I turned them back on and reconnected them without rebooting. The share settings were still intact. Next, I simply unplugged the USB cables instead of shutting the drives off, then I rebooted. When everything came back up, I reconnected the drives one at a time, and the share settings were once again gone. So, there's something that's preventing them from being loaded since the share info is listed in the registry.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    >Check out this link it doesn't directly address your problem but it seems to have solved problems for several people
    >having trouble sharing USBs over a network.

RetiredGeek,

I checked out the link, but it's only for people who cannot share their drives over the network. I can do this just fine. I just cannot get the computer to save the share settings when it shuts down, so on reboot, I have to re-share the two harddrives in question. I'll keep the link handy in case I ever have the problem they're referring to, though. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's an interesting update to this problem. This morning, I was trying to turn on my video capture program, and it kept giving me an error that some other process was using it, so I scanned my "What's Running" list, and accidentally shut down the wrong process, which made the machine give me a window saying the computer would reboot in 54 seconds. So I quickly shut down all the programs that were running, and the machine started to do a warm reboot. So, I quickly unplugged the USB cables for the two USB drives, but, this time, after the first Windows splash screen, I plugged them both back in. The computer continued to start up normally, and when the first program came up, both drives were functioning fine, and already listed. Then I checked, and all the sharing settings were still intact. So, apparently, the trick here is that I have to unplug the USB cables for the initial reboot, but have them plugged in before Windows itself starts, otherwise the sharing settings have to be reset. Does this help anyone figure out why the settings disappear if I don't plug in the USB drives until AFTER Windows starts back up? On my other computer, it doesn't matter if I turn off the drives or not, and, it doesn't matter when I re-connect them; all the settings stay intact. Thanks.