Thanks
    Hi all,

TechRepublic's Greg Shultz has an interesting piece on moving your Windows XP installation into Windows 7 by using a program called Zinstall XP7.

Zinstall XP7 uses the Windows.old folder containing the remnants of your Windows XP installation after you do a custom installation of Windows 7, and uses it to rebuild XP and integrate it into your new Windows 7 install. Zinstall XP7 works for any version of Windows 7.

Greg's blog post can be downloaded in PDF format, but you would need to set up a user name and password to do so.

Greg Shultz's article can be seen here.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done this procedure with a free tool called disk2vhd from sysinternals. This little utility needs to be run from the XP installation before you install windows 7. It will run on a system that is online and will create a Virtual Hard Drive file that can then be attached to Virtual PC running on 7. It has several limitations; The virtual machine may bluescreen if the virtualized hardware is too much different than the physical hardware the machine was running on. This can be fixed but is a huge pain to get to work and involves attaching the Virtual hard drive file to a second working virtual machine so you can fiddle with the files. There is also a limit in virtual pc that no virtual disk can be larger then 127gb.

I personally prefer this method to dual boot as you do not have to shutdown 7 to boot your XP install. You can just start Virtual PC, select the machine you want and off you go. The virtual machine boots in about half the time that it takes real hardware to start up. You can even run multiple virtual machines at once in seperate windows.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a tool now from VMWare that is designed to convert a XP install into a virtual machine install. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet but it has the potential of actually working well in most situations, unlike most other methods I've tried, which as mentioned are either non-functional or a fairly huge PITA to get working.

After many months of trying different dual boot and virtual machine configurations the one I like most is moving Win 7 into a Windows XP Pro install. That way I get the more flexible, more directly linked functionality and intuitiveness of XP, but, if there's something that isn't supported by XP, or I should say, not allowed by Microsoft to be supported, like the new Movie Maker, why then I just flip into Win 7 and think, "suck on that Microsoft!"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron,

I think you are talking about this http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/d...standalone/4_0 If that is the tool, it does have the limitation of not converting Win7 64bit or Windows server 2008 R2 64bit.

I know we are talking about XP here and it is fully compatible with XP as far as I know.