New Lounger
    Thanks
    My mother-in-law was typing in microsoft word 2007 home edition, when she realised that the content of about 6 pages of text and pictures had disappeared on her PC. The undo button did not return any thing, she closed it down and reopened to no avail. She had saved the file in her documents long before this and it was ok. She went to the folder and opened the file but nothing. A search in the recent documents showed the same file with nothing in it. The file now has only 11kb as it has nothing in it.
    We went to add/remove programs and repaired MS word to no use.
    Where could the pages have gone as she didn't hit any other keys or anything?

Thanks
    What version of Word? What was the "exact" name of the file, there may be a clue there. Are there any Macros or Add-ins running or potentially running? Any "Auto completes" that could have triggered something?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickell View Post
    Where could the pages have gone as she didn't hit any other keys or anything?
    The usual culprit is accidentally selecting the entire document and then replacing it by typing. However, using undo continuously typically gets back to the point that happened. Another thing that happens occasionally is a user pressing Ctrl+N to create a new blank document and not noticing. However, in that case, the old document remains open.

Word does generate a number of temporary files as you work on a document. I typically see one for each save, and if you don't save for a while, there may be an AutoRecovery save file. If you close a document normally, Word typically discards these files. There are unerase utilities designed to recover such deleted files, but they only work so long as Windows has not re-used the same space. Depending on how frequently the user saves, it might be worth trying to find those: one of the intermediate temp files could have the missing content.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for trying guys. She is a very basic user and probably hit something accidentally or else Word program is faulty and mistakenly deleted it somehow, that is why we did the repair. She did not have any Macros, add-ins or auto completes running as she wouldn't know how to do that, same as for ctrl N. I don't know the exact name for the file, it would be standard stuff. She was working with Word 2007 home/student edition. I am not there to look in the temps file.

Thanks
    I would suggest checking that "save AutoRecover info" in Word options is turned on. That way you should not lose everything if something goes wrong.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    I would suggest checking that "save AutoRecover info" in Word options is turned on.
    Unfortunately, Word does clear those out if the document is closed normally.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickell View Post
    She is a very basic user and probably hit something accidentally or else Word program is faulty and mistakenly deleted it somehow, that is why we did the repair. She did not have any Macros, add-ins or auto completes running as she wouldn't know how to do that, same as for ctrl N.
    This.
    I switched over to MS Word when Office 95 first came out and used just about every version since. I have never had this occur when using any Office application.

Control A is dangerously close to Control S. But even then Undo should have brought it back.

My guess is she inadvertently did Save As and the material may still be there under another name.
    "Campaigns to bear-proof all garbage containers in wild areas have been difficult because, as
    one biologist put it, `There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence levels of the
    smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.'
    Richard Wabrek

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will turn on the auto-recovery option for the future. I don't think that she would be doing any Control A or S manoeuvres as she only uses the basic file menu. Even in she saved it as another name, the original should be there or she should be able to undo back to it. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nickell View Post
    I don't think that she would be doing any Control A or S manoeuvres as she only uses the basic file menu.
    I've seen people accidentally select text by letting their palm touch a laptop's track pad. These mouse users often do not notice the quick flash of black when the document is selected and then replaced when the next character is typed. In these cases, you can disable the trackpad in the control panel, or tape a piece of cardboard over it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's true that the AutoRecover files are deleted when you exit from Word under normal circumstances, but you also have the option of having Word save permanent backup copies of your files in the same folder where the originals are stored.

Click the Office button, Word Options, Advanced, scroll down to the "Save" options, click "Always create backup copy," and click "OK" to save your settings. Note that the backup copy, which uses the name "Backup of <file name>.wbk," represents the previously saved draft, not the current draft. However, having a copy of even the last-saved version can spare you a tremendous amount of work and anxiety.

I started using this feature when I began experiencing problems as a result of some glitches in the Word 2010 beta while working on my latest book this past spring. I got the idea from Herb Tyson, who suggested it in some writing I happened to see online (I can't remember exactly where). It seemed like a good option because the book manuscript was such a critical document. The setting is found in a similar location in Word 2010, except instead of clicking the Office button, Word Options as in Word 2007, click the File tab, Options.

Just a thought.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will turn on AutoRecover and the auto save backup copies for her in case the computer tries to do it again. Dennis