New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, i am trying to uninstall a program Virtual Dimensions. I have been able to uninstall via the control panel but when i go to delete the folder in program files i get the message ` the action cant be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. close the folder and try again' . In that main folder are an application folder and two dll files. Whats steps do i need to take to completely remove this application from my computer. thanks

Thanks
    The first thing to try would be to uninstall and delete the folder when in safe mode of windows.
    I've not used Virtual Dimension myself, but from the description of the program I suspect it has significant hooks into windows to do its virtual desktop thing.

Alternatively you could use an uninstaller/cleanup program such as Revo Uninstaller which has a good reputation for removing difficult programs and for cleaning up after partial uninstalls.

Jock

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you've rebooted since the uninstall was run and still can't remove the folder that most likely means some process is being started when you boot that references a file in the folder. That can be a service being started or a program in your startup items.

1.) Use a tool such as Autoruns for Windows or WhatInStartup - Disable/delete programs at Windows startup to manage your startup items. Note: in Autoruns you should initially be interested in the Logon tab.
    2.)To check a service, right click on Computer and select "Manage". Expand "Services and applications". Click on "Services". Look for something related to Virtual Dimension". If the startup type is "automatic", right click the service and select "Properties". Change the startup type to "Disabled". Ok your way out.

Whichever method you use at the end re-boot and you should be able to delete the folder.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Trevor,

Another way is to use the Registry Editor. It's a bit risky but I have used it several times myself. Go to regedit and search for the program name and then delete each instance that shows up. Needless to say make a back-up first. Only do this if you have total confidence that you know any deletions won't affect your system.

Thanks
    The best way to uninstall a potentially complicated program without having to use a 3rd party solution is to ensure that all it's running processes are disabled prior to running it's uninstaller, as JoeP describes in his above post.
    Then run a mild registry cleaner, like CCleaner's registry cleaner followed by a restart of the os.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many uninstallers cannot remove all of the files because they might be in use. For example, a program that includes an Explorer plugin needs to wait until Explorer is not running to remove the plugin. Such uninstallers add a "run once on next boot of Windows" entry to the registry to remove the last remnants of the program. I recall having issues with some programs when I ran the uninstall and then immediately follow that with installing the program again, perhaps a later version - on rebooting the "run once" portion of the uninstall removed files installed by the subsequent installer leaving the program unusable! I find that it is often a good practice to reboot your computer after uninstalling something.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who responded. Problem resolved. Found the program in the logon tab in Autoruns for Windows. Unticked the box, rebooted and was then able to delete the folder without any problems. Then did a run with CC Cleaner and cleaned one item. Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Great!! Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe