New Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone ever observed the WinAmp folder disappearing from C:\Program Files. No, it's not uninstalled, just MIA. The context menu items are still there as is the entry in Add/Remove programs. I started my PC one morning and clicked on icon in the system tray but it complained that it couldn't find the program and started searching. I suspect that my antivirus program (Zonelabs Security Suite) may have found something it didn't like and tried to quarantine it which precipitated the disappearance of the whole program folder.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you done a simple search in Explorer for the missing folder? It is remarkably easy within Explorer to click as you mouse over a folder and whoops, you initiate a drag and drop and the folder is moved to an unexpected location. It happens very quickly and you don't even know you've done it. At work I have saved several users from themselves and restored missing files by a simple search.

stuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Have you done a simple search in Explorer for the missing folder? It is remarkably easy within Explorer to click as you mouse over a folder and whoops, you initiate a drag and drop and the folder is moved to an unexpected location. It happens very quickly and you don't even know you've done it. At work I have saved several users from themselves and restored missing files by a simple search.

stuck
    Ya, I've done that many times, but not this time. What I've done now is made a backup of the folder on another partition just in case it happens again. When it does happen, the program is still in Add/Remove Programs and all registry settings are still there, but just the program folder is missing. Weird...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's another idea, have you tried setting Explorer to display hidden files & folders? Perhaps the 'Hidden' attribute on the folder has been set somehow?

stuck