New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Word 2010, I saved a document in compatibility mode. Comments were added by an associate using Word 2007 (still saved in compatibility mode) and sent to me for resolution, but when I open the doc the font size of the comments is so small that they are unreadable. Is there a way to change the default font size? I've tried right-clicking on the comments and changing the font size but nothing happens. I've also tried changing the Comment Text via the Change Styles drop down but that didn't work either. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Thanks
    We've had some threads on this for Word 2000 and Word 2003. Not sure if they are relevant for Word 2007-2010.

[topic=680766]Changing the appearance of document comments (2003)[/topic] -- Identifying the relevant style
    [topic=243088]Word Comment Text Too Small (Office 2000, SP3)[/topic] -- Normal view zoom factor

Conversion broke those links, so...
    Changing the appearance of document comments (2003)
    Word Comment Text Too Small (Office 2000, SP3)
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-09-28 at 15:34. Reason: Added new links.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Word 2010 you have a couple of options that I can see.

1. If you are using the "Final: Show Markup" tracking in the Review tab (the grey sidebar on the page) then you need to use the zoom (in the bottom right of the window). Note that this zooms both the page and the comments in the balloons.

2. If you turn on the Reviewing Pane in the same area of the Review tab then you can click that pane and then drag the same zoom to change the size of the comments displayed in that pane without changing the zoom on the page.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments, but they didn't work. I've uploaded a sample file so you can see first hand what the problem is. This file was originally a 2003 file, then a 2007 compatibility file, now it is a 2010 .docx file. Thanks again for your assistance.[attachment=89334:Sample.docx]
    Attached Files Attached Files

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The hidden Balloon Text is set for 1 pt. Change it to whatever you want.

Pam

(... sounding abrupt because I'm late for an appointment. Good luck with your document)
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just to expand on Pam's rushed suggestion...

To modify the style used in the comment balloon's
    1. Open the Styles Pane by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S
    2. Click on the Manage Styles button in the bottom of that pane
    3. In the Manage Styles dialog > Edit tab, set the sort order to Alphabetical and select the style called Balloon Text and click the Modify button
    4. Change the size to something much larger eg 12 and click OK and OK to return to the document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Just to expand on Pam's rushed suggestion...

To modify the style used in the comment balloon's
    1. Open the Styles Pane by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S
    2. Click on the Manage Styles button in the bottom of that pane
    3. In the Manage Styles dialog > Edit tab, set the sort order to Alphabetical and select the style called Balloon Text and click the Modify button
    4. Change the size to something much larger eg 12 and click OK and OK to return to the document.

Thank you - this answer just saved us a ton of work!!! I had tried modifying the Comments Style - never thought of Balloon Style.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Pam and Andrew! Gee, could MS have made it any more complicated to change the default font for comments? Seems like it would make sense for that to be more accessible.

Mainly I wonder why they chose a serif font as the default for anything electronic these days when it's been long-established that a sans serif font is more readable on a computer screen, (especially when the font in question is tiny)?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mai Bhago View Post
    Thank you Pam and Andrew! Gee, could MS have made it any more complicated to change the default font for comments? Seems like it would make sense for that to be more accessible.

Mainly I wonder why they chose a serif font as the default for anything electronic these days when it's been long-established that a sans serif font is more readable on a computer screen, (especially when the font in question is tiny)?
    Well, they probably didn't expect that anyone would need to change it very often. They like to hide Word's complexity.

MS didn't choose a serif font. They just didn't disallow it. Balloon Text is based on normal. On the computer I'm working on today, the font and size in normal is Calibri 11. So the comments I see are in Calibri 10.

Pam

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much, we had this issue on a document (for no apparent reason) but it is fixed now
    Regards, George

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the solution posted to this problem! I've run across "squished bubbles" in documents from time to time, and couldn't figure it out---and neither could the IT folks here! Many thanks to solving a VERY frustrating situation!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I am working in Word 2012 but the document was drafted at another office, possibly on a different version of Word. When I push Ctl Alt Shift S, I don't see "Manage Styles" or "Balloon font" or "Comment Font" in the menu that comes up. Is there another way to solve this? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    IrishIndyMom

Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S opens the style pane (usually located on the right side). This list shows the styles that are set to visible but there are nearly always lots of styles that don't appear there because they are set to be hidden.

Down the bottom of that style pane are three buttons. Hover over these buttons to see their names. The Manage Styles button has a picture of two A's with a pencil. When you click on it, it opens the Manage Styles Dialog where you can see the complete list of styles. Set the sort order to Alphabetical and you should be able to find the 'Balloon Text' and 'Comment Text' styles.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew, thanks very much for your help. As it happens, I did find the pertinent icon and managed to fix the problem. I am glad I registered for this site, though; your response assures me that I have a good source for future help with Word 2010. Besides death and taxes, the other sure thing about my future is that I will have more "issues" with MS Word! Blessings!