Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know Windows XP comes with its own unzipping utility, however elemental.
    I have been using a free program, FREEZIP, which I love using since in my opinion ( computers ain't my generation) it does things more simply than other programs.

I have come across another popular free program called 7-Zip. It does RAR which I don't think FREEZIP does.

MAIN QUESTION >>>>>>>>>> will UNZIP programs FIGHT with one another on the same computer the way AV programs will .
    BROWSERS seem to have no problem co-existing on the same machine.
    How about UNZIPPERS ????

I am sure that ONE of the programs will have to be the DEFAULT program the way it is with other apps.

Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am sure that ONE of the programs will have to be the DEFAULT program the way it is with other apps.
    That's the way it works, one of the programs will be the default and the other will only be used if you specify it to work instead. I have 4 or 5 different media players and unless I specify another one then VLC is the default.

That said, I would pick one and use it only because one may have a feature or two that the other doesn't and unless you keep the zip (or .rar or .tar, etc.) generic you might run into a situation where only the originating program can handle the resuting file.

Thanks
    I also like 7Zip and try to keep it updated. Yes, it's FREE.
    I also have WinRar installed.
    When I right click on a zipped file, both programs show up in the drop-down context menu.
    I just pick which ever one I want to use at the moment.
    They don't actually run till you run them so they won't fight with one another the way two
    AV programs may.

Enjoy!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I have "7zip" WinZip" and "QuickZip" installed "Winzip" is paid for and the default for most compressed formats but the others are available by "Right-Click" for different reasons and have certain extensions assigned to them as default. BTW I use W7P64.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(