New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a problem with Firefox and it was somehow firewalling me from the internet.
    I had a friend who is a relative newby to the internet and computers in general. He suddenly could not access the internet. He took his system in to a local store who were unable to locate the problem, He then called me and I brought his system to my home to troubleshoot it. What I found wrong was that somehow Firefox was blocking his access to the internet. The home page on firefox was some strange page that was somehow locked in and could not be removed. I say this because even though it appeared when changed by me it always attempted to go to tha page anyway no matter what I changed the page to.
    Is there a trojan or fake browser addon that can do this? After I removed (uninstalled) firefox the system started to work normally when browsing the internet. The user was a Cox customer and Cox helped me troubleshoot it to a firewall problem by logging the system as I logged off then back on while the known firewall wad disabled. the Cox system reported a firewall still on and when I delete firefox it went away.

When I first got the system no browser installed IE, Chrome, or Firefox could access the Net. After Firefox was removed IE and Chrome worked normally.
    If Firefox was not being run how did it stop the other 2 from operating? I do not see any thing called by firefox running until I call it on my system at which point it does leave a file behind. I wish I had saved the url that firefox kept trying to go to but it was too long to write by hand.
    Don

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donald johnson View Post
    The home page on firefox was some strange page that was somehow locked in and could not be removed. I say this because even though it appeared when changed by me it always attempted to go to tha page anyway no matter what I changed the page to.
    Is there a trojan or fake browser addon that can do this?
    Sounds like there was some malware on the computer. Or maybe there still is.

Some add-ons redirect ("hijack") the home pages and/or search queries. They restore their settings when restarting the browser.

I think there also have been trojanized builds of Firefox released on the web, so make sure to always use the original source at http://www.mozilla.com/ when downloading.

As for blocking other browsers, that is very odd. I haven't heard of that one before.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Sounds like there was some malware on the computer. Or maybe there still is.
    Yup, and you should be scanning it with a good AV scanner.

Thanks
    Run this FREE program from Malwarebytes.Here's the link;Anti-Malware
    You might also want to try Super Anti-Spyware which is also FREE;Anti-Spyware The best of luck to you.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten