Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a Word 2003 user who makes heavy use of templates (which I still think of as style sheets) and keyboard-based formatting through use of the keyboard shortcuts built into the extensive family of templates which I've created. I am a keyboard-based user, and would happily never touch a mouse, given the choice.

I did not move to 2007, primarily because of the ribbon, but am now finding that I will have no choice about moving to 2010.

What resources are available which will allow me to:
    • focus on the keyboard with as little disruption as possible to the habits formed by my fingers (i.e., Alt-f,r,r,tab to insert a cross-reference by chosing from the list of bookmarks in the document)
    • continue to use the templates created in Word 2003 (particularly the short-cut key combinations for particular formatting styles), either directly, or by re-doing them as required for Word 2010

I've seen reference to UBitMenu, which may get me past the ribbon, but what about templates & styles?

thanks...Bob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I can't help you with the templates. See Ribbon help from Microsoft Windows Secrets Lounge for a link to online Office information from Microsoft.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might want to look here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...101794130.aspx

I believe these guides take you from 2003 to 2010 so at least you can see if the keyboard commands are the same.

Our project has 3800 workstations that we will be migrating from 2003 to 2010 and we have the same problem, hundreds of templates, macros, etc. that need to be looked at, and thats aside from the interface issues.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The menu location info posted by Karl is helpful, but my bigger concern is the template issue - I'd really appreciate any assistance available on that score

thanks...Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Bob,

For most purposes, .dot templates created in Word 2003 should work fine in Word 2007 - haven't tested that in Word 2010, but it should be the case there too. You can even set the default file save format to .doc, if you want to stay in the .dot/.doc world while using 2007 or 2010. Any custom key shortcuts you've created, associated with the old templates, should continue to work.

The downside is that most features that are new to Word 2007 and 2010, won't be available to you if you stick with the .dot templates - so it probably is best to update your templates now.

If you want to create new .dotx or .dotm templates for use in Word 2010, there's no reason why you can't rebuild the key shortcuts, in the new templates.

Gary

Thanks
    Yes, I agree with Gary.
    I have had no problem using 2003 templates since changing over to Office 2010. (Just remember to save your templates in a new, seperate, folder during upgrade and then either move them into your new 2010 templates folder created during upgrade, or use "options" in word 2010 to set your seperate folder as the user template folder. Once accomplished, you can, if you wish, open your "old" templates" as templates and then "save as" word 2010 templates. That way, new documents created using these templates will not be created in "compatibility mode", unless, of course that is what you want. (By the way, I have not tested the above with templates containing personally created embedded macros (since I do not have any!). However, I SUSPECT they would work as well. Good luck!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BobRitter View Post
    • focus on the keyboard with as little disruption as possible to the habits formed by my fingers (i.e., Alt-f,r,r,tab to insert a cross-reference by chosing from the list of bookmarks in the document)
    • continue to use the templates created in Word 2003 (particularly the short-cut key combinations for particular formatting styles), either directly, or by re-doing them as required for Word 2010

I've seen reference to UBitMenu, which may get me past the ribbon, but what about templates & styles?

thanks...Bob
    The shortcut key example you gave is, I think, an "access key" or menu-based shortcut key. Access keys in W2010 are ribbon based, and the keystrokes are very different from W2003. You'll have to learn the new sequences, I'm afraid. (In a tutorial for W2007, MS introduced me to the term "accelerator keys" for menu- or ribbon-based shortcuts. I just briefly searched for the site today but couldn't find it and didn't find any MS site that used "accelerator key" in that way. A support site used "access key" and an Outlook blog used "key tip". )

Keyboard shortcuts, both Word's (or Window's) and those you create, still work in W2010 (see this list for W2002 through W2007). Note, though, that Ctrl+f takes you to the find input box in the navigation pane instead of in the find and replace dialog. There may be other differences that I haven't run into yet.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Word 2010 on a test machine, and unfortunately, the templates I've tested so far are not working. Files based on them open with a "compile error in hidden module: SinkObject", which is described as occuring when code is incompatable with the version of the application. More fiddling, I guess.

These templates do contain macros, as well as formatting, although the style-based formatting is what is most critical to me. I was hopeful that the templates wouldn't have to be recreated, but maybe the macros are going to blow that idea. Oh, well...

What's the best source for info on Word 2010 templates and styles?

thanks...bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Bob,

Most macros created in Word 2003 will work fine in 2007 and 2010, but there are a few things that were removed from the object model that can cause problems - one notable example being the FileSearch object, which disappeared from Office starting in 2007.

You'd need to track down the specific line of code that's causing the compile error, to tell whether you're dealing with something relatively easy to fix, or not. How familiar are you with the VB Editor? - are these macros that you originally created yourself, or did you have someone create them for you? Do you know which of your templates contains the "SinkObject" module?

A book on Office 2007 that I really liked was Advanced Microsoft Office Documents Inside Out, by Stephanie Krieger - but I see that a 2010 version (by different authors) won't be out until October. You can get a used version of the Office 2007 book on Amazon for around $11. A search on Amazon for "Office 2010 book" will turn up more options.

Gary

Thanks
    I installed Word 2010 on a test machine, and unfortunately, the templates I've tested so far are not working. Files based on them open with a "compile error in hidden module: SinkObject", which is described as occuring when code is incompatable with the version of the application. More fiddling, I guess.
    Maybe this MS tool will help: Microsoft Office Code Compatibility Inspector user's guide.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The "find" aspect is probably the problem. Most of the macros in the templates were created for automating various searches. All of those macros were created by me using the record macro mechanism. I've opened the visual basic programming module purely to see what was there for curiousity's sake, but haven't ever taken the time to figure out how it works.

I'm guessing that the best bet may be to save the existing templates under new names (because I'll still be holding onto Word 2003 for use at home), strip out the macrros, and see if they'll work for the basic formatting requirements. I haven't looked, but I assume that there is a function in Word 2010 which allows recording macros in a manner similar to Word 2003?

thanks...bob

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did not move to 2007, primarily because of the ribbon, but am now finding that I will have no choice about moving to 2010.

As an experienced, keyboard focused user, you are lucky to have skipped 2007. I am very much like you I learned touch typing on a manual typewriter, and when word processing "I hate meeces to pieces" .

Keyboard shortcuts. Basically you are out of luck. Although some of the ALT key sequences (ALT F, O, for Alt File, Open) have continued to be the same,enough of them have changed to constantly trip you up. You will have to learn new the combinations. One of the ways to learn the new menus is to use an applet called Ribbon Hero: http://www.officelabs.com/ribbonhero. OK, the applet is actually a "game", but it is a valid learning tool.

As in 2003, you may continue customize your 2010 Shortcut keys (CTL/ALT/SHF + letter, ie CTL O for File Open) to apply specific shortcut keys to specific commands.

You mentioned the "menu" tab addins, Ubit specifically. So far I have not seen (haven't looked for) any specific to 2010 or updated to 2010. The 2007 versions will sometimes work in 2010. Although I initially used them in 2007, I have been moving away from them, especially since installing to 2010 beta.

When you are searching (ie googling) for help about Office 2010, expand your search to include Office 2007 since they are very similar and many of the changes you see as part of the Ribbon Gooey (GUI) were actually introduced in 2007. Therefore the "what's new" descriptions about them were done in Office 2007 articles.

Here are some links that you can mine to maybe find (partial) solutions to your problems:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/su...101822272.aspx - MS's "Get started with" site
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...101794130.aspx - This page is a gold mine. It has links Silverlight based apps that display 2003 menu, and when you click on menu command it morphs to display how to find the command in the 2010 ribbon. This page also has links to download spreadsheets mapping 2003 to 2010 commands. These spreadsheets are quite nicely done, much better than the much older versions.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc303401.aspx - Office 2010 Resource kit
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-564a64dd4ac5 - Office 2010 Resource kit in help file format
    http://www.officelabs.com/ribbonhero - a "game" that will help you learn the new ribbon

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...er%29#filelist - Office 2010 IT Professional User Readiness Resources: Readiness materials that help prepare the business for the deployment of Office 2010. Help get users in your company excited about Office 2010. Use these posters, flyers, and weekly e-mail templates to get people excited.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d+Center%29#tm -

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...010369478.aspx - MS Word 2010 training courses

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...101901726.aspx - Word 2010 Training- Make the Switch to Word 2010 (part of a series for whole office suite)

MS Word help- search for "Key Tips"

You can migrate menu based macros and toolbars into ribbon versions. Migration actually has the advantage of allowing you to more than the limited default set of icons. Here are some articles:
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=772844
    http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

Thanks
    Greetings again. Ubit menu has been upgraded to be compatible with Office 2010. It is available (free) for Download at:

http://www.ubit.ch/s...languages/#c262

Whilst there is much to be said for "biting the bullet" and learning to use the ribbon, power users will find the Ubit Menu of use to get things done when time is of the essence. Any left over spare time can then be used to get familiar with the ribbon.

I have saved over 100 Word 2003 templates as 2010 templates and then modified them as required to take advantage of new 2010 features where applicable. Admittedly, my templates did not have macros so I can not speak for this side of the argument.

You can assign your own short-cut key strokes in 2010, just as in 2003.

You can record macros in W2010, as in W2003

Saving your 2003 templates as "macro-enabled" 2010( .dotm) templates MAY work:

Although it targets Office 2007, the information here provides some applicable information that may assist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...ame_extensions
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to both Ron007 and PeterS. I will explore and see how well I can make my way.

I'm sure that in a few years this change and the mental anguish it is causing will not be particularly memorable, just like I can't even recall any specific issues arising out of the change from DOS Word to Word for Windows, other than the faint recollection that it was a pain at the time.

thanks to all...bob

Thanks
    The "find" aspect is probably the problem. Most of the macros in the templates were created for automating various searches. All of those macros were created by me using the record macro mechanism.
    FYI Bob, my main 2003 template had ~200 Find & Replace macros. It works fine in Word 2007, so Find may not be the root of your issue.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb