New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a strange problem on Vista. I run two computers in my house, a laptop with XP and a desktop with Vista. I was on my laptop and wanted to print something, so I printed several files each to an Adobe PDF, emailed the PDF to the desktop, and tried to print it using the Adobe viewer there. My first file printed okay, but when printing my second file, the printer hung up. On trying to recover, I kept getting an error saying the spooler had died and to notify Microsoft. I read the Help file and tried to restart the spooler using the Administrative Services applet, but after trying for a second or two, the service would give up and give me the same error. I am thinking there may be an incompatibility in the versions of Adobe Acrobat that are being used on the two computers and that is why the spooler and/or Acrobat might have choked on the Vista system. It may be that I will have to delete the spooler file on disk before I can restart the spooler, but I don't know.

How do I recover my spooler so I can use the printer on my Vista desktop system?

Thanks
    Hi JF, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you considered uninstalling Acrobat and going with a substitute reader such as Foxit? That might prove whether Acrobat was part of the problem or not. You can download Foxit here if you decide to give it a shot.

If you do try Foxit, be careful to uncheck the options to install other software (such as tool bars, etc.) when you run Foxit's setup, unless you see something you want to install.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JF - I don't know how much you might know, so I'll raise a couple questions:

Are you running the services applet "as administrator" when attempting to restart the spooler?

Is the spooler stopped and won't start, or started, hung, and won't stop to clear itself?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was running as straight Administrator. Only my wife and I have logons to the computer and both are as Administrator, but I'll double check.

Second, when I invoke the Start for the spooler, the progress bar goes along for about 1/5 of the distance and suddenly aborts. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Vista and Windows 7's Administrator account is hidden. Most users in Vista and Win7 that are an "Administrator" are part of the Administrator group, and have some Administrator privileges. To run an app with the full Administrator privileges, for example, right click on Services, click properties and click the Advanced button and place a check in the block Run as administrator . Or you can right click on Services and select Run as administrator on the context menu.

To activate the hidden Administrator account, check this link for instructions on activating the Vista super-user account.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to change my Administrator account to the "super" Administrator by right-clicking the Services and checking Run as Administrator, but got the same result. I'm beginning to believe that I am going to have to rebuild Vista or at least do some kind of check to see if there is no corrupted file. However, I would like to try deleting the spooler data file first to see if there is something in there that is causing the spooler to immediately abort. Is this reasonable? Where do I find the file and what is its filename?

Thanks
    Try this: Under the Advanced tab, select the Print Directly to Printer radio button, and click Apply. This is a possible work around and If this allows you to print you will have more time to search for a definitive solution to the spooler problem.

Have you installed the most recent Vista drivers for your printer?

Check this out:

"This problem is most likely being caused by a submitted print job that has a corrupted ticket header. This is often caused by application software or print drivers that do not adhere to industry print language standards.

1. Stop the Print Spooler service from the Services Control Panel.

2. Clear out any suspect spool files from the print spooler directory. If in doubt, just empty this directory.

Default: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS

Restart the Print Spooler service." This is quoted from the MS Technet forum. Click here to read the entire thread (rather long).
    Deadeye81

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's good to know where all the data files are. Next time I'll try to delete all the PRINTERS files before going to great lengths. However, I did a google search on "microsoft windows printer spooler restore" and came up with a suggested fix from the Microsoft knowledge database. They had an MSI file for Windows XP, but the Vista operating system showed nothing. Ever the optimist, I tried running the fixup file for XP on Vista anyway and it worked. All the printer spooler problems cleared up. Go figure.

Thanks for all the comments, anyway. I guess the lesson learned is: when in doubt, check the Microsoft knowledge base first.

Thanks
    Glad you got the spooler up and running, JF! Thanks for posting your solution. If you do not mind, would you post the Knowledge Base article number for the benefit of anyone else who runs into this situation?

Thanks,
    Gerald
    Deadeye81

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe the link was http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757.