New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Word XP for my documents. I needed to have Outlook 2007 to sync my phone contacts, so I installed Office 12. Now Word 2007 has taken over my computer. Even when I click on a document file with "open with" and point it to the winword.exe under Office 10, Word 2007 opens. On top of that, all the functions except for print are grayed out on 2007. I've also tried to change the file types for .doc to Word XP, but to no avail. 2007 still opens.

Is there a way to get Word XP to be the default Word and stop 2007 from opening all the time?

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Whenever you want to switch Word versions (such as from W2007 to W2002), you have to start the version you want—the start menu > all programs list shows all installed versions. Thereafter, on double clicking a file name, the version you last started will open the file. If that doesn't work for you, you may have to only open documents from within Word. Note that every time you switch versions, Word takes many seconds to "install" itself.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is an article from Microsoft that you may find helpful.
    Here is another Article that is very old but excellent.
    Perhaps you can find help there. They worked very nicely for me.
    Michael

=== === ===

You can reach the second article linked above using its "review" page at http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax_rating.asp?ID=762

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for all your tips! I think I've finally got it so Word XP opens as the default.

Thanks
    Personally, I'd bite the bullet and suffer the unusualities and "where have they hidden it NOW"s of Word 2010. I've tried mixing versions of Office on the same PC, but always come to grief at some point or other...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I might consider switching to Word 2007, but it just seems to take forever to come up and it's a resource hog. XP is fast and simple.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Bulmer View Post
    I might consider switching to Word 2007, but it just seems to take forever to come up and it's a resource hog. ....
    It is a pretty good bet that having both versions installed is what is making Word 2007 take a long time to come up.
    Wendell