New Lounger
    New York, NY
    I have an old Sound Blaster card that I use with head phones. No problem and the sound is decent enough.

I'd like to add speakers so I can listen to music when my spouse is out of the room. I have decent enough sound capability on the motherboard but the Sound Blaster card supersedes the motherboard ports. If I re-install the motherboard's drivers I knock out the SB card and I'm back to where I started, one active speaker port. I could probably add a physical switch but I would think I could use settings in the Control Panel >> Sound and Audio Devices to switch back and forth. I want all the wires coming out the rear of the PC so I don't want to use front panel ports.

If there's a sound card out there that will do what I want, I'll get it but it just seems logical that a Control Panel Sound setting will do what I want.

I've searched the Lounge but can't find a thread for an answer.

California & Arizona
    You should be able to disable the motherboard's built in sound from within your bios while enabling the Sound Blaster.
    So check your bios, if you havn't already, before going after a new sound card.

Where are you plugging your headphones into, the front of the computer?

If you get a set of speekers, you'll plug them into the sound card in the back of your computer.
    Headphones will be plugged into to a jack on one of the speekers, and the motherboard's built in sound
    can be diabled.
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.