Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two XP SP2 computers and a Windows 7 machine, all three of which are accessing the internet just fine over the same network as the one laptop which has a copy of Vista Home 6.0 SP-1 32-bit. My problems at the moment are with this latter computer, an HP G60.

The Vista machine is attached to the home network through a cable. It cannot access any websites with either IE-8 or Firefox 3.6.3. Both programs tell me they are unable to access any web page. I get the same message when I attempt to access the router control page. This is new behavior, evinced over the last couple of months. I don't know the exact start date.

It's the same if I start IE-8 without add-ons through the All Programs/Accessories/System Tools menu.

The network indicator tells me I'm connected to my home network with Local and Internet access.

Using a cmd prompt, the Vista machine successfully pings and receives replies from yahoo.com.

I have the windows firewall shut off.

Any ideas?

Pat in Juneau

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Pat,

Firstly are you using any Anti-virus / Firewall software on your problem machine. I have to ask this even though you have stated that Windows Firewall is OFF.

You have said that you are able to PING yahoo.com from your command prompt this is a good start. So we will skip checking basic ipconfig settings for now.

Navigate to Control Panel > Internet Options Applet > Connections Tab > LAN settings button > Proxy Server un-ticked?

You can also try the following if you find that IE is not behaving the way it should by resetting it to it's default state.

Navigate to Control Panel > Internet Options Applet > Advanced Tab > Reset... button.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Josh,

There is a copy of Symantec antivirus on the machine, but it makes no difference to the IE-8 condition if I enable or disable autoprotect.

Proxy server was unticked.

Reset didn't help.

Thanks of the suggestions. No joy yet.

Pat

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information Pat,

Without asking the seemingly obvious what is the error in IE-8 that you are receiving when attempting to access a website. The reason I ask sometimes malware can play a part in these sort of problems.

Could you give us your basic networking details such as internet type and provider?

Also from a Command Prompt (Elevated):

Code:
    ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    Are you able to connect to Windows Update in Vista? attempting to narrow down if this is a specific IE related issue or core networking issue. Although it does not sound like the latter since you have said a ping response from yahoo.com was successful.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Josh,

Yes, I can connect to Microsoft Update. Just finished downloading and installing an update to the NET framework on the Vista machine.

I'm on a DSL from ACS Alaska, which is working fine on four other computers in the house (three running XP, one with Win7). It's networked through a D-link DR 655; one line drives another DR-655 configured as a switch to give me three ports in my workshop, some distance away from the main router. Everything's connected through Cat-5 running to outlets in every room.

The Vista machine was in the front room, but I moved it out here into my workshop when I started trying to solve this problem. There was no change in operation when I plugged it in out here.

I'm uploading a screenshot of an attempt to connect to Google.com. At the time I shot this, my XP machine, connected to another port on the switch, was successfully connected to Google.

I'm also uploading ipconfig.txt.

Again, thanks for helping with this vexing problem.

Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pat,

Both the screen capture from IE8 and ipconfig look pretty standard which is good.

Could you please download this utility, HijackThis

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Run HijackThis: Click the "open misc. tool section" button > Click "open uninstall manager" > click save list,yes to the prompts, notepad will open with your add/remove programs list.

Please attach or post here your installed software list. This may help us find the culprit as it sounds as though it is a software based issue. Core networking and hardware appear to be working OK.

You said earlier in the piece that FireFox has been tested and it failed to connect also. Have the network/proxy settings been checked within this software as it does not piggy back off IE8's proxy settings.