Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to copy text messages from my phone to my PC's hard drive. I've tried examining the phone via Windows Explorer, but can't find where the text messages are stored. Can this be done? (My phone's operating system is Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 and the PC uses Windows XP Home.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyM View Post
    I want to copy text messages from my phone to my PC's hard drive. I've tried examining the phone via Windows Explorer, but can't find where the text messages are stored. Can this be done? (My phone's operating system is Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 and the PC uses Windows XP Home.)
    Did you find a solution to this? The answer depends in part on your brand of phone.

Until very recently, Palm used a proprietary file format for text messages, so none of the free or paid "backup" tools work with the Treo series (except Treo Pro AKA Treo 850). You can copy the data file (PalmMsgV001) for safekeeping in case you need to rebuild your Treo after a hard reset, but I'm not aware of any other software that can read it.

For other makes that stuck with the Microsoft standard, a search turned up a free application that will export Windows Mobile SMS messages to text files: http://www.smsexport.com/ . I can't test it myself, but if you try it, please post back on your experience.

Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I didn't find a solution, mostly (I realise now) because in New Zealand we tend to refer to "texts" rather than "SMS", so my searching wasn't very successful.

I've downloaded the software and eventually got it installed. Had to install a newer version of Microsoft.NET Compact Framework, first (the SMS Export site provided a link). And it took me a while to work out the the phone had to be docked before I could install the upgrade, but got there in the end.

The nett result works, although transferring the texts is a slightly long-winded process. (On phone, navigate to program and run it. Then, on PC, navigate to phone and move the resulting file to the PC.)

The file contains all your texts (even those in the Deleted folder).

But, I'm not complaining, it does the job! Thanks for your help.