Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Loungers,

I am so easily distracted by anything on a web page that moves. I like to read articles and the flickering & flashing & scrolling really distracts and annoys me.

I'm running IE7 and I've got a couple bookmarklets that stop maybe half of the junk. I've also got an icon that runs IE with add-ons disabled. I also run Firefox on occasion -- same problem. Nothing works completely. And...now there are an increasing number of websites that splash a moving advertisement (like a car driving across the screen) that covers the entire page until you have to click the darned thing to get rid of it. The sites that are starting to pop up junk across the bottom of the screen that takes up even more screen space are getting worse, too.

My question is: Is there ANY browser (or browser setting, for that matter) which will stop this junk?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards, Connie

Thanks
    For Internet Explorer;Open the control panel,from the start menu.Then click on;Internet Options this will open different page.At the top click on the,Privacy tab.In the section that read's,POP-Up blocker click on settings.Then click on the,Blocking level space set this to HIGH.Then click on close,then ok.
    Open your Firefox browser.Click on the tools tab then then go to Options make sure their is a check mark in,Block pop-up windows section.This should make your surfing more enjoyable.
    If none of my suggestions work you might want to read the thread in this same section.pop-up
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    In addition to Ron's advice, in IE, go to tools and select the "advanced" tab. Uncheck, in the "multimedia" section:
    "play sounds in web pages", Play animations in web pages", & "show Pictures".
    Enjoy the peace.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    For Firefox, have you tried the ad-blocking add-ons? They can't anticipate every scenario, but might help to some extent. I don't use ad blockers but I do use NoScript, and it has the side effect of blocking a lot of ad servers (I just don't approve those to run scripts).

Thanks
    One of the reasons that I use Firefox is for this very reason.
    There are two things that cause most movement on most web pages.
    1. animated .gif files
    2. Flash
    FF has thousands of Add-ons and there are several that stop both of these.
    I use Custom Buttons for number 1, it has a button that "Stops all tabs from Loading" which stops these and I use Flash Killer for number 2.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello... I wanted to follow up on this thread and thank you for your replies.

I think I've found a decent solution: A browser add-on called Readability Readability browser add on

I've been using it for a few weeks now and I really like it. Not only does it get rid of the moving junk, it also lets me set a default font & text size so that I don't have to enlarge the small fonts that some websites use.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Regards, Connie

Thanks
    Thank you, looks interesting - think I'll try it too.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    The only ad blocker I use is http://simple-adblock.com/ for IE8. My firewall, Outpost Pro., has the best ad blocker.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!