2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Dell Latitude D600 has been acting sluggish, and I'm wondering about the CPU speed. Problem is, none of the usual Windows tools are working. No CPU speeds listed anywhere. For example, I launch System Information and I get a message that Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software...

I found instrux to flush that and restart WMI, the service is running, but no CPU speeds. Something is missing in my system don't know what. I reinstalled the chipset drivers. Any clues?

fwiw XP SP3, all the latest updates. 1.7 GHz P4m.

Thanks
    Are you refering to cpu usage? Normally cpu speed is not monitored on the fly.
    Right click on the taskbar and select "Task Manager". The preformance tab with display usage in percentage points.

cpu-z
    "CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system".
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I am referring to CPU speed in GHz

At least in all the modern the laptops I've used the CPU speed is monitored, probably because the Intel power management systems adjust the speed all the time. It's usually visible under on the General tab of System Properties. My General tab is missing all the CPU info , in addition to the symptom noted above.

Thanks
    Yes, in Windows XP it should be displayed where you say it should:
    The General tab of System Properties, above you system RAM. I have no idea why yours would be missing.

CPU-Z will show you the same thing and more, as will your bios.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Check to see that the Windows Management Instrumentation service is running and that the startup type is Automatic. Right click My Computer and select "Manage". Expand "Service and Applications". Click on "Services".

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both WMI services are auto start and running.

Cpu-z seems to get the cpu speed, and it did catch as the processor dropped to 50% speed, so at least I know that part of the system is working. Thanks Clint. But the reason for the lack of the cpu display within integrated tools remains a mystery.