Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Big question!

Are batch files, Visual Basic files and Registry scripts considered shareware, freeware or protected software (even though they have never been copyrighted?)
    Can such programs even BE 'Copyrighted?'

Opinions NO. Expert commentary YES.

Thanks!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    Are batch files, Visual Basic files and Registry scripts considered shareware, freeware or protected software (even though they have never been copyrighted?)
    Rights under U.S. Copyright law attach to a work when it is "fixed" in a medium from which it can be reproduced; registration and copyright notices are optional. Thus, virtually everything is protected by copyright unless it is utterly lacking in originality. That does not mean you have to shut off your computer. If you want to incorporate the work of others into a new work for your own private use, it's unlikely anyone will care. However, if it is for distribution, you have to do a risk assessment taking into account a wide variety of factors. The law has a number of exceptions to allow copying of ideas (expressed in your own words), implementing methods and processes not protected by patent, and so on. There may be an express or implied license to use the code (otherwise, why is it out there?). If all else fails, there is the possibility of fair use. The analysis can get complex; if it were easy, you wouldn't need copyright attorneys.

Thanks
    Say Doc, why don't you go to the future and tell us how this turns out? Assuming that you will be able to get back that is.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Well, if I go there, of course I can get back! (as long as the Flux Capacitor holds out!)

But specifically, the registry script "Take Ownership" does not contain any Copyright Notice and I see it offered for free even in this forum,
    however, is was deemed as Copyrighted Material by one Internet Storage site and summarily removed.

It's been my understanding that something just doesn't get Copyrighted by osmosis or some natural means, but must go through a process similar to
    a Patent, with forms, fees, lawyers and all that legal mumbo-jumbo.

So my question is: Who copyrighted the "Take Ownership" script? Or, is it even possible to copyright a VBScript, batch file or registry script?
    If "Take Ownership" is truly copyrighted, then there's a whole bunch of people breaking the law, including many on-line forums.

Any lawyers in the house?

The Doctor

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What is said at the site that one will find this "Take Ownership" script?

A link would help!

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Any lawyers in the house?
    Yes. Please see above comments.

It is not always possible to determine the owner of copyright in a work. (Hence Google's approach to book scanning: we scan now and ask forgiveness later.) Life involves taking chances. Do you feel lucky?

Thanks
    WELL, I continue to see the Take Ownership script and many other scripts as well, offered on sites that will ban you if you even try to discuss software piracy.
    I assume is was written and offered FREE and continues to be FREE to this day.

I've been writing batch files for about 30 years now, and I've never yet copyrighted one and always offer them FREE to anyone who will use them.

I still don't have a comprehensive answer to my question, so I'll just leave it there.

Thanks guys!
    The Doctor

Thanks
    I suspect that most are not copyrighted, if they were, they will certainly go out of their way to tell you about it.
    (specialized scripts associated with specialized software programs with embeded ULA's)
    The vast majority seen on the internet are freely distributed. I think it would be a profesional courtesy to make mention of the maker when distributing them and the onus would be on you to check for copyright prior to distributing them.

This one is completely gratis, although the maker didn't see fit to put his name in there....

@echo off
    FOR /F "tokens=1,2*" %%V IN ('bcdedit') DO SET adminTest=%%V
    IF (%adminTest%)==(Access) goto noAdmin
    for /F "tokens=*" %%G in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO (call :do_clear "%%G")
    echo.
    echo Event Logs have been cleared! ^<press any key^>
    goto theEnd
    :do_clear
    echo clearing %1
    wevtutil.exe cl %1
    goto :eof
    :noAdmin
    echo You must run this script as an Administrator!
    echo ^<press any key^>
    :theEnd
    pause>NUL
    Event log cleaner
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have released several small bits of code to the public. I like to state that I am releasing them free to use or sometimes I will use the GPL terminology. It just leaves out any questions.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a Canadian Government web site that might contribute to your thinking about such matters.It is extensive, as you may discover on exploring it. It can be discouraging for those among us who might like to turn a profit on ideas alone.

There is no shortage of interesting examples to contemplate, and here is one that comes very close to your field of interest. How many fonts do you have on your computer that are knockoffs of other fonts (which you may or may not also have on your computer), but have a different name? To the eye, for most of us, they are identical, but what happens if they really are identical and the only difference is in the name. If that is the case, then there are grounds for a lawsuit, and I believe that Adobe has successfully launched such suits in defence of its copyright. If too much of the code for one font is identical to the code for the other font, then you can sue, which sounds like the sort of thing that you are talking about. More generally, how closely can works resemble other works without plagiarism? Yes, that includes homework assignments that rely on online assistance or sources without attribution, which is another area which may sound familiar.

Thanks
    WELL, I continue to see the Take Ownership script and many other scripts as well, offered on sites that will ban you if you even try to discuss software piracy.
    I assume is was written and offered FREE and continues to be FREE to this day.

I've been writing batch files for about 30 years now, and I've never yet copyrighted one and always offer them FREE to anyone who will use them.

I still don't have a comprehensive answer to my question, so I'll just leave it there.

Thanks guys!
    The Doctor
    If it's batch files your wanting to share I would be more than happy to see and tinker with them.
    Batch files can be very usefull and powerfull little tools, and someone who has been working with them for 30 odd years should
    have plenty of good experience in creating them.

Thanks
    CLiNT
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Only when a subject comes up that requires a batch file that I may know how to write, or have already written, do I offer one.

What I specifically wanted to know is..... is the "Take Ownership" script copyrighted? YES or NO?..... or can it be, legally, since it's made up of commands that are in the public environment. Just like any batch file is nothing but a text file listing of a number of DOS Batch file commands which I assume are still the property of Microsoft.

Oh, the quagmire of copyright and licensing.......It's a slippery slope that many people avoid by just ignoring it.

The online download site removed "Take Ownership" from their archives, because someone griped about it being a piece of Copyrighted Software.
    My response to the notice from the download site was a big, bold "BS!". (only, I didn't use the abbreviation)

Ok, thanks for all the responses.

The Doctor

Thanks
    What I specifically wanted to know is..... is the "Take Ownership" script copyrighted? YES or NO
    NO
    or can it be, legally, since it's made up of commands that are in the public environment. Just like any batch file is nothing but a text file listing of a number of DOS Batch file commands which I assume are still the property of Microsoft.
    NO

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    Is this the one you are refering to?
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    For 'Expert Commentary' and an official Canadian legal opinion, I suggest you visit the site I linked to above and click on 'Copyright', and read the first three items cited there (which appear to pop up in sequence automatically a little too fast for my taste). What applies in your jurisdiction may differ.

I had better add that jscher's reference to book scanning is amusing in this jurisdiction, as there was a well-publicized court case a few years ago over lawyers engaging in that very practice (at Osgoode Hall, if anyone cares to look it up)..

Thanks
    I'm in Florida, not Canada, so a Canadian Legal Opinion won't do me a lot of good. But thanks anyway.

Yup, Clint, that's the one! That's an absolute MUST-HAVE for myself and most of my tech friends.

I know I'll get ripped for this, but I've combined Take Ownership and Disable UAC into just one script,
    since I run them both anyway when I'm setting up a new Windows 7 PC.
    Most all of my customers are upgrading from an old tired ME or XP computer, so they want their new PC
    to look and act as much like their old PC as possible. I can do that!

Thanks guys, for all your input.

The Doctor

PS: For those who like to play with scripts, here's one that can put your Windows 7 PC on "Nitrous".

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l]
    "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="1000"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "DisablePagingExecutive"="1"
    "LargeSystemCache"="1"

And here's a batch file to shut down unneeded services.
    Play around with this one, to suit your own needs and desires.

@echo off
    cls
    rem This batch file will Stop selected Services and set them to Disabled.
    rem The following are a few examples of task name vs actual program name.
    rem Schedule = Task Scheduler
    rem Themes = Themes
    rem W32Time = Windows Time
    rem SysMain = Superfetch
    rem WinDefend = Windows Defender
    rem
    sc config Appinfo start= demand
    sc stop Appinfo

sc config ALG start= demand
    sc stop ALG

sc config AppMgmt start= demand
    sc stop AppMgmt