Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a story by PC Magazine ...
    Microsoft Announces Beta of Next Microsoft Security Essentials

click here for PC Mag article

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366759,00.asp

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to try this. I very much like MSE and am excited about trying the new version. I just made an Image so I'm set.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    An important point to note about the new MSE beta is that:

For Windows XP users: Please note that the network inspection system feature will not be enabled on Windows XP. This is because the network inspection system requires the Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) in order to run, and WFP is only available in Windows Vista and Windows 7. However, if you are running Windows XP, you can still use all other beta features.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Here is a direct link to the MS connect page. It appears You must have a MS Live sign in to access the download, or be willing to set one up. For us Win 7 users the beta is fully functional. I uninstalled my original MSE before installing the Beta. I have had problems in the past with 2 versions of an app installed even if one was disabled so I figured this was good practice. Everything seems to be working well although it's only been one day. The signatures have already updated once.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There is no need to uninstall a current version of MSE. If the beta installer detects a version of MSE already installed it updates/replaces the current version with the beta.

Joe

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    There is no need to uninstall a current version of MSE. If the beta installer detects a version of MSE already installed it updates/replaces the current version with the beta.

Joe
    I do understand this is supposed to happen, but I have seen times in the past that this does not happen appropriately. Perhaps it was because of my system, who knows. I just always take the time to elliminate an old version before installing a new version, it just makes sence to me. Others have not done this and have had no problems and that's OK. I just always take this extra step. I also download the file, then disconnect from the internet and shut down AV apps before installing software. In this case the AV app is what I was upgrading to a new version so I did not want to still be connected to the web when I was performing this upgrade. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but this method has not failed me to date so I will continue to utilize it. It does not take a great deal of extra time and allows me to feel safer while doing it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I do understand this is supposed to happen, but I have seen times in the past that this does not happen appropriately. Perhaps it was because of my system, who knows. I just always take the time to elliminate an old version before installing a new version, it just makes sence to me. Others have not done this and have had no problems and that's OK. I just always take this extra step. I also download the file, then disconnect from the internet and shut down AV apps before installing software. In this case the AV app is what I was upgrading to a new version so I did not want to still be connected to the web when I was performing this upgrade. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but this method has not failed me to date so I will continue to utilize it. It does not take a great deal of extra time and allows me to feel safer while doing it.
    The only time in several years with Microsoft products that I've seen a requirement to uninstall a prior version is when you install an RTM version after having a Beta installed for some products. I've not had a failure of that sort in quite a long time. The way the Microsoft installer (& other installers) works for products such as MSE is to uninstall the prior version then install the new version not just update the new files. Also, with MSE disconnecting from the internet is a totally unnecessary step. If you are running a software firewall on the PC, a new version of MSE has nothing to do with your firewall. The only way you could be hurt is if you download and/or access new files from the internet while you are installing the new MSE version. I would not recommend do that.

It seems to me you are just making extra work for yourself.

But, suit yourself. That's why it is Personal Computing.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    As stated I feel safer doing it this way. Perhaps the last time I was bitten was long ago as well, but since I have not been bitten recently the minute or two, no more than that, is well worth the time spent to me. We get into a routine when we are working with our system's. This is my method and I am comfortable with it, so even though it takes one or 2 extra steps and a minute or 2 more, in my mind it is time well spent. Thanks for your suggestion and info. It has provided new info for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll wait until the new version is final then give it a whirl.

A question though, has anyone experienced any high cpu spikes with the first version or new beta? I had and found that setting up file/folder exclusions helped stop this issue.

Funnily enough the folders excluded are the program itself. I have contemplated if this does put my Virtual Machine where I am testing it at risk if the software was directly targeted.

For anyone watching,

To add exclusions, click on Settings > Excluded files & locations, then click the Add button to add an entry.

For Windows XP, add the following exclusion:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials

For Vista/Windows 7, add the following exclusions:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials
    C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials
    C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware

Cheers,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I'll wait until the new version is final then give it a whirl.

A question though, has anyone experienced any high cpu spikes with the first version or new beta? I had and found that setting up file/folder exclusions helped stop this issue.
    I have it on three different machines with three different OSes and have not noticed any difference in performance of any of the PCs. Under what circumstances did you notice the spike?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To be honest It's not something I've inspected with rigour yet JoeP with it being a VM. I've just had good luck in the past with adding self exceptions to memory resident applications in the past if they spike.

If I notice anything particular I'll report back. I've installed it multiple times on various machines so it could be VM specific as I do have a bit of software loaded in to it.

Thanks
    I have also not noticed any unusual CPU activity with the Beta version. It seems very stable and I have been offered new sigs each day.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there an approximate date of when the new version will be out of beta & ready for general download?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Fall 2010. Generally, Microsoft does not give much advance notice of a release for a product such as MSE.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Fall 2010. Generally, Microsoft does not give much advance notice of a release for a product such as MSE.

Joe
    Well, Fall 2010 began 9-23-10 so it should be any day now - Right!

P.S.: - Don't dignify this comment with a reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast