Thread: User Accounts

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

I had a problem with Windows Search. If I searched in the box above the Start orb, clicked See more results and then clicked Computer, Explorer crashed and then restarted. (Explorer crashed whenever I chose to search in Computer, regardless of which folder was open at the time). I ran sfc /scannow and also did a repair install, but the problem persisted.Finally on the advice of another forum I went through the "Fix a corrupt user profile" instructions given by Microsoft (which omit to point out that when it comes to their comments about File and Folder Options you also need to select Show All Folders, and to uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"), and that solved the search problem. The User Name for the new profile is Roy Whitethread, and having made sure that I did not need anything in the old Roy account I deleted that User account. (To be on the safe side I chose the option to delete the account but to keep the files.I was told the files would be sent to my desktop but that didn't happen}. Sorry for the long preamble to my question but I thought the foregoing info. might be relevant.

When I look at C:\Users I now have the following Users listed:

1.Administrator.
    2.Administrator.Roy-PC.
    3.Administrator.Roy-PC.000.
    4.All Users.
    5.Default.
    6.Default User.
    7.Guest.
    8.Guest.Roy-PC.000.
    9.Home Group User$.
    10.Public
    11.Roy Whitethread
    12.Roy Whitethread.Roy-PC.000

Below the list is a desktop.ini file.

I don't understand why I now have the Users numbered 2,3,8 and 12.

I looked at all the files in User No.12 and was able to delete most of them, with the aid of a program called Unlocker, and then restarted my Computer. I found I then had problems with some programs not working and that most of my desktop icons had disappeared.I then thought I had better restore all the deleted items from the recycle bin. I still had to uninstall/reinstall a couple of programs and to copy my missing desktop icons back from my Roy Whitethread desktop folder. (The desktop folder for Roy Whitethread.Roy-PC.000 contains the same list of icons).

Is there any way I can delete everything relating to Users 2,3,8 and 12 without running into problems, other than reinstalling Windows?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    These accounts were saved from the earlier install. They were made when the "Repair" or a another install was run. The install wanted to save your user files and settings. If you have gotten ALL of the data out of these user folders, then you can delete the accounts and files, they should all disappear where you delete the account.

It is always best to use the option at the time of deleting the account to remove all files at the same time. If you do not do this then you will have ownership issues when trying to delete the files later.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello DaveA,

Thanks, but the problem is that the only User Accounts I have are Roy Whitethread (Administrator), Administrator and Guest (Off)), so I don't understand why I have all the extra User folders, and whether it would be safe to delete them.

Your further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Since you have NO accounts assigned to these folders, then you should be able to delete them. I would check out what is in the Document and the Pictures folders before deleting the master folder.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks DaveA.

I checked there was nothing I needed in the Documents and Pictures folders and then deleted the User Folders I referred to previously. There were the usual messages about permissions and some items being already open, but I used the Unlocker program to deal with them. In some cases Unlocker could only delete items after a reboot, so I rebooted, which I intended to do anyway.

When I rebooted I got a message saying "you have been logged on with a temporary profile...." (the message went away before I had time to read it all), and it also suggested logging off and restarting again to see if this got rid of the problem. I logged off, restarted and this time logged on as Administrator, but got the same message. I restarted again, and this time logged on as Roy Whitethread, and got the same message.

The Users listed now are:

1.Administrator
    2.All Users
    3.Default
    4.Default User
    5.Guest
    6.Home Group User$
    7.Public
    8.Roy Whitethread
    9.TEMP.
    10.TEMP.Roy-PC
    11.TEMP.Roy-PC.000

Below the list is a desktop.ini file.

I believe I can delete 9,10 and 11.

Could the problem regarding the profile message at logon be due to the fact that when I double click the C drive no ntuser.dat or ntuser.ini files are shown?

I attach a screenshot of the C drive contents, and you will note some items appear twice, with variations in name.

(One odd problem I am having with regard to writing this message is that every time I reposition the cursor or press enter the scroll bar shoots up and down!).

I would greatly appreciate your further help.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roy Whitethread