2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, My wife has an external harddrive that she doesn't use and suggested that I may get some use out of it. There is no software and it is supposed to be plug and play. She use it with her Apple and I tried to use it with my pc (HP Pavilion dv t 1000 with Win 7 64 bit) well after plugging it in I discovered that it will not not work. An Icon shows up in My Computer, but that is it. I did some searching and found that it only works with Apple and or 32 bit systems. No big problem except that now I have a permanent icon for a drive that does not exist and I can't get rid of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.......Stan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Stan.

Good news this icon in My Computor. I am sure that you can right-click on it and you will get a menu, at the middle of it, you should see "Format". Do the dirty trick and you shall know joy.

There is a false opinion amongst the Wormy users that only Apple ( worm ) stuff can be used on their machine. Totally wrong, a HD is a HD is a HD.

If you do not succeed, I will provide you with my home address and I would tremendously appreciate a donation. I have all kinds of Wormy stuff obtained on eBay as nobody bids for them and the price is always very low.

You might be able to go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computor Management -> Hard Disk and there see your physical machine setup. The USB HD will be found if you scroll down a triffle. Right click on it and choose a procedure, Format will be there too.

Get back here with whatever results you get. You have a lovely wife giving you that drive. JP.

Thanks
    Hi Stan,

Your BIOS likely detected the USB drive and set it up. You can access your BIOS and look at the hard drives to see if it is listed there or as a USB device. You should be able to remove it there.

I am curious though. What model Apple does your wife have? Modern iMacs and Macbooks use 64 bit CPUs and Mac OS X is a 64 bit OS. It should not matter to the USB hard drive that you are using Windows 7 64 bit OS.

I use a Western Digital My Book formatted in FAT32 (which is the default for the My Book) with my iMac, and have no problems. I also dual boot Windows 7 64 bit on the same iMac, and I can use this same WD drive with either OS.

The USB drive your wife used is probably formatted in the OS X extended format HFS+, which cannot be read on Windows 7. If your wife still has her Mac, she should be able to connect it to her machine and reformat it in FAT32, which will work with your computer.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You guys must have scared it, I opened My Computer to try your suggestions and the icon was gone, what can one say, if it returns I will zap it with your directions, thanks again...Stan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Stan, be careful.

>>> the icon was gone

There is magic or voodoo in them thar machines. Can we suspect your better 1/2 ??? JP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jean, not sure about your reply, could you please explain, icon still gone, but will try having wife reformat the drive for FAT 32 and let you know if it works, thanx....S

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Stan, no need, methinks, in having the better 1/2 do this format to FAT32. If it is seen on your machine, you should be able to format it yourself.

>>> Will try having wife reformat the drive for FAT 32 and let you know if it works.

Did she ? Dit it ? You might try the W7 app here. Go to Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computor Management -> Disk Management, right click on that USB drive. The way that I make sure of the proper device is by the size of it, the left column will give this information. Go to full size screen to help this action.

Have a great day.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Jean, will try and let you know...........S