Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Outlook 2003 and have no intention of getting any newer version of Office any time in the near future and maybe never. I have checked the Internet and don't see any update to add holidays to the Outlook 2003 calendar past 2012 and that is really just around the corner. Does anyone know of any such updates that will add US holidays to Outlook 2003's calendar past the date that Microsoft seems to have picked to stop adding them?

Thanks
    H Lewton

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The holiday file is just a text file that you can edit if you have the time and desire. If you drop out all the stuff you don't need you can copy/paste a past year and then edit the dates for whatever years you want.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks and I wish that helped me. But I have no idea what text file you would be talking about or how to edit it to make sure a date for something like Labor Day would be correct 5 to 10 years from now.
    H Lewton

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hlewton View Post
    Thanks and I wish that helped me. But I have no idea what text file you would be talking about or how to edit it to make sure a date for something like Labor Day would be correct 5 to 10 years from now.
    In this folder, you will find outlook.hol --

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033

-- which is the file from which you can import holidays into Outlook. Perhaps an Outlook 2007 or 2010 user can share an updated file with you. (Not on this forum, please!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    US holidays fall on a predictable date every year, with the exception of Easter which is a religious holiday and there is even a complicated formula for calculating that!.

Ex: Thanksgiving - 4th Thursday in Nov,
    Columbus Day: {Gov't Holiday} 2nd Monday in Oct.
    Labor Day 1st Monday in Sept.
    Election Day: 1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in Nov.

You can find the rest here.

As for the text file I'm also curious where it sits. I'm sure someone out there will tell us.

P.S. I've attached an Excel workbook that will calculate Easter for any given year entered into cell A1.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know of any such updates that will add US holidays to Outlook 2003's calendar past the date that Microsoft seems to have picked to stop adding them?
    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924423
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the folder, the spread sheet, and the link. However, unless I am reading the link wrong it too only adds dates through 2012. I will look at the Outlook.hol and see if maybe I can figure out how to edit it. It may be easier to just manually add them each year.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    OK so I found the file and can open it with Notepad. Is is a simple matter of adding the dates for years beyond 2012 and then just replace the Outlook.hol in the same folder with the one I just edited? Or should I delete the previous entries and go from 2012 forward?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I just found a great site for future years as well as dates including Easter. Calendar
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    OK so I found the file and can open it with Notepad. Is is a simple matter of adding the dates for years beyond 2012 and then just replace the Outlook.hol in the same folder with the one I just edited? Or should I delete the previous entries and go from 2012 forward?
    I think it might be safer to rename the old .hol file, and create the new "out-year" holidays in a new .hol file, then import the Holidays through Tools | Options | Calendar Options | Add Holiday. If you do end up with duplicates, its moderately easy to remove them: http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/holidaydupes.asp

See also http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...001075002.aspx
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    Is is a simple matter of adding the dates for years beyond 2012 and then just replace the Outlook.hol in the same folder with the one I just edited?
    You then import the new holidays using: Tools > Options... > Preferences tab > Calendar options... > "Add Holidays"

Note that it starts automatically after you select countries and click OK, so if you already added the holidays in the file for that country, you will get duplicates. Edit: According to the above Microsoft article, you now get a warning to prevent duplicates.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    You then import the new holidays using: Tools > Options... > Preferences tab > Calendar options... > "Add Holidays"

Note that it starts automatically after you select countries and click OK, so if you already added the holidays in the file for that country, you will get duplicates. Edit: According to the above Microsoft article, you now get a warning to prevent duplicates.
    So I'm trying to understand this. I have created two files with a .txt ending at present. I assume I can rename one of them to Outlook.hol since they were created with Notepad from the original Outlook.hol file but Notepad automatically added the .txt after the Outlook.hol name so now it is Outlook.hol.txt but in an entirely different folder than where the original was found. I'm just not sure which one to use. In one of them I just added dates through the year 2026 to what was already there. I am assuming that if I used that one it is where I would get duplicate dates. I have another file, again at present with a .txt ending that I again assume I can rename to Outlook.hol and it only has dates that started where the original one left off in 2012. So if I use that one I should not get duplicate entries in the Outlook calendar if I am understand this correctly. Then I use "Tools > Options... > Preferences tab > Calendar options... > "Add Holidays" after placing the newly renamed Outlook.hol file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033 folder. Am I saying and understanding this correctly?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    I again assume I can rename to Outlook.hol and it only has dates that started where the original one left off in 2012. So if I use that one I should not get duplicate entries in the Outlook calendar... Then I use "Tools > Options... > Preferences tab > Calendar options... > "Add Holidays" after placing the newly renamed Outlook.hol file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033 folder. Am I saying and understanding this correctly?
    Yes. If there is an existing Outlook.hol file in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033, rename it to something like Outlook.hol.old.
    UTC -7ąDS

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That worked perfectly. Thank all you very much.
    H Lewton

Thanks
    ... they were created with Notepad from the original Outlook.hol file but Notepad automatically added the .txt after the Outlook.hol name so now it is Outlook.hol.txt but in an entirely different folder than where the original was found.
    For future reference, Notepad always adds .txt to the end of any file name that doesn't already end with .txt. To bypass that, put quotation marks around the entire file name in the Save As dialog, e.g., "outlook.hol" or "index.asp".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast