New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 8 GB of RAM and a new AMD 4 core processor. I am running Win7 32 bit Home Premium.

I want to move up to 64 bit Win7 to be able to use all of my RAM, but can find no info on how to proceed. Do I have to do a completely new clean install and then reinstall all my software? or is there a short cut?

Every time I do a search I only find info on upgrading from Vista or XP to Win7.

Any advice?

Many thanks,

Jim

Thanks
    You will need to do a new or "Fresh" install as any apps that are 64bit will need to be re-installed anyway. Plus the registry will need to be re-built and this is practically impossible without re-installing everything.
    Anyway, from a practical/technical view there just ain't no other good way to do it. Sorry.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, there is a shortcut....take out 4 gigs of RAM; done! Otherwise, yep, put the waders on and start trudging through a fresh install.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It might be useful for readers to help compile a list of common-or-otherwise programs that will run under 32-bit but not 64-bit, and programs that are convenient to have if you do have 64-bit. (Drivers are an entirely different matter, and you can do your own homework in that regard.) I have run into surprisingly few conventional programs that will not run on a 64-bit Win 7 machine. One that came up recently is RoboForm2Go (i.e. on a flash drive) although it had worked previously: the catch is that the browser is now 64-bit. One venerable program that runs normally under 32 bits is Window Washer, but it won't run (for me) on a 64-bit computer.

One you might like sooner or later for a 64-bit computer is the paid version of Revo Uninstaller, but you probably don't need it in the short run.

Thanks
    This might be a usefull start...
    Windows 7 Compatibility Center
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    This might be a usefull start...
    Windows 7 Compatibility Center
    Hey, thank you very much - that's a terrific link. It's more than just a start, that's for sure.

Thanks
    Jim, Welcome to the Lounge.

From all I have read, in order to change the "bitness" of Win 7 you must perform a clean (Custom) install. This would require reinstalling all apps. If you clean install directly into the Win 7 partition, a folder will be created called windows.old, which will contain the old OS (Win 7 32 Bit). You can drag all the data, My Documents etc from this folder and place then in the new OS. Once you have gotten everything, you can just delete the windows.old folder.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andreasen View Post
    Do I have to do a completely new clean install and then reinstall all my software? or is there a short cut?

Jim
    Don't fall into the trap of assuming that your existing software is all 64-bit compatible. Check the list that Clint suggested, or the software's home page. You may have to download a different version and you may have to shell out more money, Many apps will determine which version you are running and install themselves neatly to match, but the installed version will then be different from your present version. You'll get a double-whammy when it comes to drivers: things are very fussy indeed with those.

You should have lots of support, or at least company: nearly half of all Win 7users are running 64-bit, and manufacturers can't afford to ignore that big a market.

Thanks
    Yes, when you do change the "bitness" of your OS you do need the same "bitness" for ALL hardware drivers. In my experience all my 32 Bit apps work well with my 64 Bit Win 7 installations, but this is not a guarantee. Check the compatibility as previously stated.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran into another angle last night that might interest you: IE8 has a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version, and you can run either on a 64-bit setup. In early versions I think the 64-bit version had incompatibilities, but I was having trouble with the 32-bit version, which I was still running under 64-bit, so I switched to the 64-bit version and it was performing very well indeed.

That may have been just luck and I didn't do any extensive testing, but the 64-bit stuff is constantly being improved, as you might expect. The really curious thing is that I checked out the IE forum and it appears that no one mentions (or admits to using) the 64-bit version at all. If you have it installed you will have both available to you at all times, so you might keep track of 64-bit version progress and keep others posted on your findings.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    I ran into another angle last night that might interest you: IE8 has a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version, and you can run either on a 64-bit setup. In early versions I think the 64-bit version had incompatibilities, but I was having trouble with the 32-bit version, which I was still running under 64-bit, so I switched to the 64-bit version and it was performing very well indeed.

That may have been just luck and I didn't do any extensive testing, but the 64-bit stuff is constantly being improved, as you might expect. The really curious thing is that I checked out the IE forum and it appears that no one mentions (or admits to using) the 64-bit version at all. If you have it installed you will have both available to you at all times, so you might keep track of 64-bit version progress and keep others posted on your findings.
    The biggest problem with 64-bit IE is that almost no addins have been upgraded to 64-bit. That includes Flash and Silverlight. OTOH (on the other hand), addins are the prime cause of IE problems.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    The biggest problem with 64-bit IE is that almost no addins have been upgraded to 64-bit.

Joe
    Thanks Joe, I recall your remarking on that in past, but if you can live without a few addins the app itself appeared to work very smoothly, and my impression was that it was more so than in past, but I admit I don't know if it has even been updated. The 64-bit question is (with apologies to anyone who remembers The 64-Dollar Question), what, if any, are the (theoretical) benefits of one over the other?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Thanks Joe, I recall your remarking on that in past, but if you can live without a few addins the app itself appeared to work very smoothly, and my impression was that it was more so than in past, but I admit I don't know if it has even been updated. The 64-bit question is (with apologies to anyone who remembers The 64-Dollar Question), what, if any, are the (theoretical) benefits of one over the other?
    Microsoft released a cumulative security update for IE8 on x64 systems with the June patches - MS10-035: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer. There were files updated in both the 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

See Q&A: 64-Bit Internet Explorer - EricLaw's IEInternals - Site Home - MSDN Blogs for a brief discussion of 64-bit IE.

Joe
    Joe