New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post this question.

I often fix friends and family computers and in some cases will put their hard drive in a docking station and attach the docking station to my own laptop.

Then I can backup important private files and delete other stuff (Windows Folder, Program Files etc).

I already know that sometimes I need to get permission or make myself the 'owner' to be able to accomplish some of this but lately this has become more difficult.

Speaking about a drive taken from a Windows 7 machine for example, I make myself the owner of the Windows Folder (in order to delete it) but can't. I get the usual you need to provide admin authority yada yada but still no go. I then have to skip and format the drive to 'delete' everything.

Is there a program that will let me delete all these folders and files easily without jumping through hoops?

Cheers,

Paul.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That could indeed be easier to achieve programmatically, like from a batch file.

But on the other hand, is it so bad if you format the drive/delete partition, that way you'd also get an easy rid of the hidden/system files & folders?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's a registry tweak I use on my W7 system to do what I think you want to do:

http://www.askvg.com/add-take-owners...windows-vista/

Regards,
    Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dick-Y

If this works then I owe you a beer :-)

Cheers,

Paul (off to the country for the weekend so unable to check back until then)