2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook today lost (Outlook 2002)

Does anyone remember how to recreate Outlook Today when reinstalling the app? I point my email to a different folder, then delete the default folders set up by the application. all my data is there, but no Outlook Today. The Today folder seems to be a calculated creation within Outlook, going to calendar, etc. for its data. How can I get it back?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook today lost (Outlook 2002)

Try this. In Folder view, right click on the folder and choose properties. Select the Home Page tab. Here you tell it to use a page and the path to that page. I think the path to the default is: Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice1033Outlwww.dlloutlook.htm

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sounded like a good answer, but I have no such file either on drive c or e, where I keep my applications. I think I did the damage when I deleted the default folder set up by the reinstall of Outlook. There is a set of steps one must take to point to another existing *.pst file instead of the default. I think I did it in the wrong sequence, blowing away the default Outlook today folder.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I realized that I had made a mistake in applying OLDDog's advice (left out the outlook.wvw before the outlook.htm. I went back and did it properly. Outlook changed the main page line to "res://E:MSOfficeOffice101033outlwvw.dll/outlook4.htm" (note the front end and last forward slash).

Now, when I click on Outlook today, there is hard disk and network activity followed by a brief screen that is correct with my current appointments, etc. quickly followed by a "new" screen that has the normal Outlook Today format but no data under the headings.

I'm getting closer to a resolution, but wonder whether a reinstall of Outlook 2002 is needed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm having the exact same problem. My Outlook Today began "disappearing" on me spontaneously. I checked out the KB, including Q305970 but no relief. Have you made any progress? Does anyone else have ideas? (C'mon, MJ! I think you should have a beacon we can flash in the sky similar to the Bat spotlight seen over Gotham city, perhaps styled after the Outlook Today icon!)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After trying just about everything (replace profiles, delete and recreate e-mail accounts, hack the registry, etc. (all with elevated MS tech. support), we found a cure, but not the cause.

This is what worked for me. Go to control panel - add/remove programs. Click "change" on MS Office XP. Go to the Outlook section and click "not Available". Reboot and reinstall just Outlook 2002. Outlook Today worked properly. My case may be different than yours, because my true Today was lurking behind what became a blank Today. It would flash briefly before being overwritten.

MS had no prior occurences on record of this particular problem. They elevated the tech supp for me, and we got it resolved. No one knows what caused it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're right, the reinstall did the trick. Thank you.