New Lounger
    Thanks
    Running windows vista home premium - when I change a filename it takes a looong time (relatively) for the windows explorer to recognise the changes..
    Pressing F5 does not help, the green progress bar in windows explorer just moves slowly from left to right regardless...
    Sometimes it's so long to refresh that I can change one filename (by two clicks on the name and typing the new name) then do the same for another and still the first has not changed.??
    help please
    cheers

Thanks
    Hi Clive, and welcome to the Lounge!

Please post the specs on your computer, including any antivirus and antimalware software you are running.

How long has this behavior been going on? What changes, if any, were made to your hardware or installed software, including drivers, just before the symptoms appeared?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald
    I am now looking a bit stupid, cos I have just realized that this effect is only happening on my 1TB external USB drive.. which is where I keep all my media files and the place that I do the bulk of the "renaming".

I assume therefore that the issue with slowness is due to the that fact, as it does not happen with an internal disc.. and USB is slower that SATA..

** Please correct me if I am assuming incorrectly **

apologies for wasting your time..
    cheers
    CD

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have not wasted anyone's time, we are all now aware that large external drives on USB connectors are likely to be slow. What we need to work out is how to make it faster.
    Is the USB connector on the PC USB V1 or V2?
    Can you turn off the AV real time scan for the external disk?
    Is the disk badly fragmented?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hi CD,

I couldn't agree more with Paul. Your thread was not a waste of anyone's time. There are so many factors to consider when we see symptoms on our computers, and it is sometimes easy to not see the forest for the trees.

If your computer is a desktop PC and you have USB 1.1, you could always buy a USB 2.0 card to speed things up a bit. However, even USB 2.0 will be slower to respond than an internal SATA drive.

Glad you found the source of the slowdowns.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a follow up question. I thought I read somewhere that a faster USB protocol is in the works. Can anyone verify that? Any ETA? Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Thompson View Post
    I have a follow up question. I thought I read somewhere that a faster USB protocol is in the works. Can anyone verify that? Any ETA? Thanks
    USB 3.0 is available now. For the most part, you need to purchase an addin card to get USB 3.0. Not sure if you can get it on new systems yet.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry can I get you guys back to the original question... because after a bit more investigation, I have found that the 1TB USB (v2 btw) is working fine (ie as quick as to not to notice a difference from the internal disks) when I do the same sort of filename changing from a second PC that is connected to the home network..

meaning that the USB ext drive is connected to the Acer T-660 (3.2GHz, 1.5G ram) in one room, [this is where the USB ext disk delay is a problem] the acer 660 is connected to the network thru a USR router/switch and so is an Acer M5640. And if I change the name of a file on the USB ext disk [connected to the 660] from the Acer 5640 there is NO delay at all in comparison..

Please note that the USB drive connected to the T-660 is mapped from the M5640 and appears in 'My Computer', so that may explain why there is no problem from there... can you please confirm my assumption.. thanks..

the USB ext drive is also shared to "everyone"..

and more weirdness.. I also noticed that the Acer T-660 does not appear in the list of things which are connected to the network, everything else is there except the T-660... WEIRD..?!? and if I view the network connected things from the T-660 everything is showing including the T-660..?!?!?

this was not the case a few months back, because I remember seeing the T-660 in the network connections window and I think that was how I mapped it to start with..

Perhaps these two issues are connected? perhaps not..

I have not added any hardware to either computer and they have been fine for 2 or more years without issue, until this problem which I noted about 2-3 months ago.
    No new software relating to system or antivirus or the like has been added to the T-660... Picasa was installed and removed... the NTI CD/DVD software which was included in the software image when I bought the computer has been removed .. I usually use 'karen's' registry ripper to clean up any leftovers...

I have moved the "My Music" and "My Pictures" and "My Documents" locations several times between the USB drive and both internal drives...and have had to go into the registry to force it to change back sometimes... the AV is AVG v8 free version, the only firewall is windows...

I don't know where to look now.. so cheers for any help.. CD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    forgot to add the Acer M5640 (2.4 dual, 2.5Gb ram) is also running Vista home premium..

when I say the "software image" I mean the standard software that was installed when I got the PC new from Acer..

cheers CD