New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,

I have a Medion pc on which I have been running XP (SP3) for four years. Very early in the boot sequence it used to display an 'Intel inside' logo for about five seconds. No big deal.

But a couple of days ago it decided to display this logo for close to three minutes. This is before the Windows XP logo appears. So the sequence is:

- display driver displays a message
    - few seconds black screen
    - 3 min or so Intel logo (HDD whirrs initially, then stops and sits waiting)
    - Win XP logo et cetera.

I have inspected the BIOS but found nothing there that I could modify related to this. I am not sure whether this is the first thing Windows does or the last thing the BIOS does. I'm betting on Windows since it would be weird that BIOS settins change by themselves. But I have not a clue where to look in Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Try reinstalling or updating you chipset drivers.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    This sounds like a device timeout when the bios is discovering devices.
    Are all your peripherals working normally?
    What is the boot sequence in the bios - try making the hdd the first boot device, maybe it is trying to boot from CD or USB and only goes on to the hdd once that times out.
    Might be worthwhile opening the box and checking connections.

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, Jock,

Thank you for your suggestions. Getting into chipset drivers is at the limits of my experience (if not way beyond). I'll explore Jock's approach first:

Boot sequence is CD/DVD first. I prefer to keep it that way, because that enables me to use my image restoration software if something goes seriously wrong in my machine. I 'coincidentally' just booted from the CD drive to test my new Macrium image restoration software, and then too it takes minutes before real booting starts. This points out that the pc is not waiting for the CD drive.

But you put me on another track. One change I did make over the past days is installing software for my Western Digital external HDD. I am going to undo that and see what happens. The HDD might be the cause of the timeout problem.

I'll be back with more!

Malik

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The HDD might be the cause of the timeout problem.
    Sounds like you made changes that may have precipitated something, but if they did not cause something, it could be a failing hard drive. I've had it happen 3 times over the last decade or so, 2 of which were failing hard drives, the other was a corrupted boot driver that may have been on a bad sector, don't know for sure since system restores had no effect but a reinstall has been working so far.

So if your backups are not current that would be my first priority before working on the problem more.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    So if your backups are not current that would be my first priority before working on the problem more.
    Byron,

Thanks for the warning. I have closed a few holes in my backups first, as you suggested.
    Furthermore there appears to be some trouble with a USB port (found that out because the HDD behaves differently on one port or the other). I'll look into that first.

Thanks so far,

Malik

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Somethins like that can be it too...anything that isn't responding as it should and causes the boot to wait and wait for a response until it either gets it or times out.