Lounger
    Thanks
    We are upgrading from SQL2000 to SQL2008 and I prefer the full screen query window I can get with sqlwb. I have SQL2005 [plus 2008] on one PC and SQL2008 on another; the first has the sqlwb.exe in the 2005\90 directory but the SQL2008 installation does not. Can I just copy the sqlwb file(s) to the SQL2008 PC, should I do a full installation [of 2005] or is there a downloadable package to get the functionality of the sqlwb?

Appreciate any insight.

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    SQL Workbench appears to have been replaced in 2008 because of serious performance issues - there are numerous threads about it hanging systems, or at least maxing out the CPU for extended periods. The intended replacement appears to be SSMS - though it doesn't seem to offer the same functionallity. You can try copying the file to the 2008 PC, but it may well not work - 2008 databases are not in general compatible with the 2005 tools. However 2008 tools can handle 2005 databases.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Wendell

We have been burying our head in SQL2000 and now with a 6 month standdown are attempting to leap into the future. I hadn't read of the problems with sqlwb. I use RedGate and their program flips update scripts into the fullscreen mode and I wanted it to replace Query Analyzer with something other than the tiny work area available in SS Manager. Dream on, I suppose.

I'll attempt to copy the file(s) and see what it does. Or is there an easy way to customize SS Manager to get more query window and then switch back to get all the bells and whistles?
    Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes - you can close some of the other panes - and you can hide the object explorer if you wish. Of course you can hide the individual panes in the query window as well. I work with a 24 inch monitor (1920x1200) so screen real-estate isn't such a big issue. I think you will find 2008 a significant improvement over 2000 - I have finally got all of our clients migrated to either 2005 or 2008. Also, under Tools / Options, you can choose what to open when you start SSMS - you might want to choose the option that says open a new query window.
    Wendell