New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd had an issue with a PC here in the office.....I cannot get flash player to install, I get the ominous failed to initialize error. I've tried the recommended fixes from Adobe, but continue to fail to register c:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\flash10e.ocx. I've ran the uninstaller, the subinacl option, even running secedit, but still fails on me. There isn't much new on the Adobe website and posting this didn't get much response either. Any suggestions?

Jon

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If it's an office PC, make sure you have administrative rights and that there is no security features that are blocking it's installation.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    By any chance could there be an errant ActiveX "kill bit" set for the control? I'm not sure of the best way to research that, but you could export the relevant registry keys from another machine for comparison (e.g., in WinMerge or your favorite text file comparison product).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Schmidt View Post
    I cannot get flash player to install, I get the ominous failed to initialize error. , but still fails on me. There isn't much new on the Adobe website and posting this didn't get much response either. Any suggestions?
    Jon
    Jon ,
    Hello .. I have had "mixed results" with any "Adobe" stuff .One of the things that i try when all else fails is this... C:> Users> your name>AppData> Local>Temp..... I then "take ownership of the folder (Temp) (Right click on it after you have installed a program that offers this as a context menu tweak) I use WinBubble. (Free Whatever). Then after taking ownership i delete all the files that are there (maybe one or two that you won't be able to) ...Run the "Flash Gizmo" again. If that fails.. i then will delete the whole "Macromed Folder " and try again. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jon, wondering...are you using 64 bit IE 8? Flash will not install nor work with 64 bit IE 8. When I'm in 64 bit IE 8 any Flash video will ask if I want to install Flash and installation always fails. In 32 bit IE 8 the video plays as you would expect.

Phil