New Lounger
    Thanks
    In working with software support for a piece of software that is not operating properly we have determined that some resources of Windows 7 are missing. I need to find out how best to repair or reinstall Windows 7. I would like to not have to reinstall all the software that I am currently using. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Cook View Post
    In working with software support for a piece of software that is not operating properly we have determined that some resources of Windows 7 are missing. I need to find out how best to repair or reinstall Windows 7. I would like to not have to reinstall all the software that I am currently using. Any ideas?
    Cliff, Welcome to the Lounge.

Control Panel, Backup and Restore, insert Win 7 original installation DVD, choose restore Win 7 (I believe, I'm not at home with Win 7, at work with XP), PC will want to reboot, do so and follow commands.

Other possibility is insert Win 7 original installation disk or Win 7 Rescue Disk (You did create one in Back up and Restore didn't you?) and reboot, go through date and time stuff, choose Install, then repair install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Windows 7 doesn't have a Repair install per se. You have to do an Upgrade install from within Windows 7. See
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html
    for a detailed set of instructions.

Jerry

Thanks
    Hi Clifford, and welcome to the lounge!

If the missing resources happen to be a system(s) file, then you could try the following before doing an upgrade install of Windows 7. Open a command prompt screen - click the Start orb, type cmd in the search box and press enter. Type in the command prompt window sfc /scannow. (there is a space between the 'c' and the '/') Press enter. This command will check all your system files and replace any that are corrupted or missing. You may be prompted to place your Windows 7 installation DVD in the optical drive. This procedure will take some time, but maybe it will do the job. If not, you can do the other as previously posted.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Clifford, and welcome to the lounge!

If the missing resources happen to be a system(s) file, then you could try the following before doing an upgrade install of Windows 7. Open a command prompt screen - click the Start orb, type cmd in the search box and press enter. Type in the command prompt window sfc /scannow. (there is a space between the 'c' and the '/') Press enter. This command will check all your system files and replace any that are corrupted or missing. You may be prompted to place your Windows 7 installation DVD in the optical drive. This procedure will take some time, but maybe it will do the job. If not, you can do the other as previously posted.
    W7 came pre-installed on my computer, but I've made the recommended backups. I have a CD-R labeled "Repair Disk Windows 7 64-bit" and 3 DVD-Rs that are each labeled "Compaq-Windows 7 Recovery Disk X of 3 (Factory Image)." What's the procedure, in a case like mine, for finding/replacing bad system files?

Thanks
    Have you tried running the routine I posted earlier. With the recovery files on your hard drive, you should be able to successfully run sfc /scannow . Give it a whirl if you haven't already.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Have you tried running the routine I posted earlier. With the recovery files on your hard drive, you should be able to successfully run sfc /scannow . Give it a whirl if you haven't already.
    I tried using CMD.exe from my Administrator account, and typed in the line as you suggested. But I got an error message that puzzles me-- "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."

What is a "console session"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Richardson View Post
    I tried using CMD.exe from my Administrator account, and typed in the line as you suggested. But I got an error message that puzzles me-- "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."

What is a "console session"?

You have to right click the cmd.exe prompt and choose Run As Administrator to gain top level privledges.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    You have to right click the cmd.exe prompt and choose Run As Administrator to gain top level privledges.
    It worked as advertised. Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to thank all of you that provided suggestions for the repair of Windows 7 to me. I finally had to use the upgrade route to solve my problem. All is well that ends well. Thanks again, Cliff Cook

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Cook View Post
    I want to thank all of you that provided suggestions for the repair of Windows 7 to me. I finally had to use the upgrade route to solve my problem.
    Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Richardson View Post
    With Windows Vista & now Windows 7 even though your user account is a member of the adminstrators group it does NOT have full administrative privileges. Full administrative privileges are reserved for the builtin "Administrator" account. This is a security feature to not have software installed without your knowledge that could damage your system. Hence, having to "run as administrator" to be able to modify files Windows considers crucial.

Joe
    Joe