Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a machine running Win 2000, SP4. Printing to a local printer is fine, but it cannot print to a network HP plotter and a network Minolta printer.

It can access the internet and email, and ping the two printers and get a response. It can access shared folders on other PC's on the same network.

The drivers installed fine, then I removed and reinstalled them a couple of times. I disabled antivirus, and firewall, stopped and restarted the spooler service, and the Linksys router has no rules or restrictions. Another identical machine on the same network can print to both the devices fine.

Appreciate any suggestions (other than upgrading to XP)

Jay

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Printing on the network is usually done by pointing to the print server, not the printer. If you must print direct you need to create the printer as a local printer and add a new TCP/IP port using the IP address of the printer.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe I should have been a little more clear, yes the printer was installed locally by creating a new TCP/IP port for its IP address. The error message states Unable to print, Retry/Cancel.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Delete the port and re-create it?

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LA-Jay View Post
    Maybe I should have been a little more clear, yes the printer was installed locally by creating a new TCP/IP port for its IP address. The error message states Unable to print, Retry/Cancel.
    Have you checked the permissions on the printer?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    LA-Jay, hello.

Just yesterday, I was faced with this situation, I wanted to print to an HP Laser 6L and Wirelessly too. I had to go into Printers from the Start menu, right-click on the desired printer and on that new menu, click on "Connect". It then recognized the printer and I could hear it from the upstairs floor, it is in my office in the basement.

This W2K and O2K are residing on my old i Series 1300 Thinkpad.

Let me know if this "Connect" does the trick for you. Jean.

NB: I was not properly typing this... You have to go into Network and see the printer on the far machine to do this trick of "Connect". Also, the driver has to reside on both your console and the far one. Sorry.

Edit = NB: