Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi when I delete Temp Internet files or defrag - I lose all of my remember me info for sites that I dont use all that often and dont always remember the passwords
    Is there any EASY way to not delete these files - I cant always identify the names of the sites so going through each one is not all the great

Maybe there is some software to protect them??
    I have started to keep a file of all passwords but think now that it can be daunting - I also tried to use the same passwords but there are some that I dont want to use a common password for my sensitive files

Thank you
    Kate

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    No matter which software you are using to clean the temporary files, there should be a setting to not delete cookies. Those are the files you want to keep.

Joe

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I guess I was not clear - I would like to selectively eliminate the bad cookies and keep the good ones
    I am sure that I am asking to much ???

Thanks
    Kate,

If you download and use CCleaner, and click the Options icon after you start the program, you will be able to separate the cookies you want to keep from the list of cookies. This list contains all cookies for all browsers you have installed on your computer.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    Sorry I guess I was not clear - I would like to selectively eliminate the bad cookies and keep the good ones
    I am sure that I am asking too much ???
    You probably are! How does the deletion software know which you consider to be 'good' cookies and which 'bad cookies'? Come to that, what is a bad cookie?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Kate,

If you are concerned about viruses and trojans hiding in cookies, don't worry about that. The most you will find in a cookie may be some adware, and you can reduce that by disabling third party cookies in your web browser. These are cookies placed in your cookie list that are not actually from the sites you visit, which are first party cookies, but by sponsors and advertisers that you see on the sites you visit.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Kate,

Another possibility than I use very effectively is to use a password manager. I use Last Pass. This way I can let both FF and IE delete all temp internet files each time they close, thus elliminating all cookies (I also use CCleaner to get rid of everything left). The next time I go to the web site, Last Pass fills in the password for me. All I have to remember is one Master Password for Last Pass. It remembers all the others in a strongly encrypted online file. The other advantage is I do not need my own PC to check these sites. Just load Last Pass on any PC and sign on and voila, you have all your passwords available. You do not need to keep a list of your passwords. Check it out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Or KeePass!

Saving passwords in a password manager is always better than saving them in the browser.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hi Kate, why dont you try Mozilla Firefox, It keeps note of all your passwords even after using Disk Cleanup or CCleaner. It also permits setting a 'Master Password' which you enter when opening your home page, then all you saved is there, ready to do what is needed.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    For many reasons, remembered names and passwords on a PC can get deleted.
    All the ways that can happen would take up too much space to even go into here.

A long time ago, I started a process to eliminate ever loosing a site name or password.
    I set up an old fashioned Card File, with 3"x5" index cards in a little file box. On a card,
    I list all pertinent info for that particular site, not just the Nicname and password, but also the URL.
    Many sites also have a Security Question, or Security picture. Those things will never
    be remembered in the browser, so having them on Paper is the best way to preserve them.

I know that sounds awfully Old School, but ya know, I've never lost my site info in a HD Crash.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!