New Lounger
    Thanks
    Weird problem I can't seem to find an answer to despite Googling, etc. We've fiddled with Microsoft's suggested settings, etc. all to no avail.
    Vista Premium Desktop when put into Sleep mode sleeps for a while then apparently crashes into a shutdown after some unknown period of time. Does not matter if you manually sleep the desktop or schedule it from inactivity, same results. When re-booting you get the error message of an improper shutdown.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ron,

What steps have you tried so far to resolve the issue?

There is a possibility that your hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) has been corrupted. To reset the hibernation file to a clean state I have found this to be the easiest solution.

- Start a Command Prompt with elevated privileges.

Type the following command: powercfg -h off
    Then this command: powercfg -h on

This turns the Hibernation feature off then on and resets the hiberfil.sys file on your local system partition.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem. I applied the fix as outlined by Josh B, but the problem still persists. Any other suggestions?
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Ron,

Have you looked at the Windows Logs in Event Viewer? Check the Applications Log and the System Log for any red marked critical errors that may have registered after the time your machine goes into sleep mode.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Went through the logs and there are no critical errors appearing. Since this is a desktop system, hibernation is not an option; only sleep or shut down.
    Googled up a couple Microsoft support issues relative to settings for sleep such as shutting down the hard drive 1 minute prior to sleep mode:
    This link js the closest I can find regarding problem http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
    Still no solution but when time avails, will keep plugging away.

Thanks
    Ron,

Check for an updated BIOS for your motherboard, and also any new motherboard drivers, particularly the Chipset Device Drivers Set. You can check the Support site for your brand/model of desktop for both of these and any other relevant drivers. I would replace the sound and video drivers as well.

If you do not have a brand name desktop, such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc., then look for the model number on your motherboard and check the motherboard manufacturer's Support site.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill