New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been running Vista 64-bit for years. Recently, it started randomly shutting down with no warning. I will be working on Word, or not even home on the computer, and it will just shut down without saving anything, then restart. I have looked over the other posts regarding random restarts, and nothing in them seems to apply: no c:\windowsminidump, no sysdata.xml, etc. I am running with a UPS with a new battery, but it doesn't shut down or give any warning. I am stumped. Any ideas?
    Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    On the start menu, right click on "Computer" and select Properties. In the left column click on "Advanced System Settings" then "Settings" in the "Startup and Recovery" section. Uncheck "Automatically restart". That should cause your system to halt and give you a chance to record error information.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I will do that. But when a restart occurs, how do I find and record the error information?
    Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Jerome Oehler View Post
    I have been running Vista 64-bit for years. Recently, it started randomly shutting down with no warning. I will be working on Word, or not even home on the computer, and it will just shut down without saving anything, then restart. I have looked over the other posts regarding random restarts, and nothing in them seems to apply: no c:\windowsminidump, no sysdata.xml, etc. I am running with a UPS with a new battery, but it doesn't shut down or give any warning. I am stumped. Any ideas?
    Jerry
    Jerry,
    Hello... recently i have had a "unexpected shutdown problem" on my "7" \ 64 system and was provided by this forum a "tool" to help track down the cause of these seemingly random events (BSOD's) It is a "free whatever" tool that runs in the background and if it experiences a "problem shutdown", the information will be saved, and will show you where,when,etc. Also .. give the details (at least a good starting point) BlueScreenView http://www.nirsoft.net/ Regards Fred

PS: all you have to do to view this, is click on the program to bring up the log.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    BlueScreenView http://www.nirsoft.net/ Regards Fred
    Fred,

This handy utility software reads the *.dmp files from C:\Windows\minidump folder which so far the original poster's issue is not generating.

Hopefully disabling "Automatic Restart on BSOD" will shed some light on this but if it does not then it is more likely to be a hardware fault I would hazard guess at this stage and then we would move on to hardware troubleshooting.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Fred,
    This handy utility software reads the *.dmp files from C:\Windows\minidump folder which so far the original poster's issue is not generating.
    Hopefully disabling "Automatic Restart on BSOD" will shed some light on this but if it does not then it is more likely to be a hardware fault I would hazard guess at this stage and then we would move on to hardware troubleshooting.
    Josh,
    Hello.. and thank you for that clarification. When i was having a "Unexplained Shutdown " problems sometimes i would not get the windows message ... (windows has experienced a unexplained shut down) On one of the "shut downs " after installing the NirSoft program i was able to see where the problem was. so.... i figured "it couldn't hurt" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)