New Lounger
    Thanks
    Iam using WHS for backup of my machines. (two laptops and two desktops) The system was running fine with the connection to the server completing on startup. I recently shut down the server for several days due to high temperature in my computer room. (temps in the 90+ range) The shutdown was for my convenience to limit the temperature rise in the room. Since turning the server on all machines except one desktop startup fine and the WHS connects OK. However ond desktop fails to connect. The connection to WHS seems to start OK (green icon). But the LAN connection is accomplished after WHS Connector and the WHS connection fails. A restart of the WHS computer is required to make the connection. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R. The startup sequence of the desktop has not changed from before the WHS shutdown.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How do you connect to the WHS machine? Your description is not clear.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    How do you connect to the WHS machine? Your description is not clear.
    With WHS, there is an agent to install. This is how WHS & the PC communicate and facilitate backing up the PC.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Lange View Post
    Iam using WHS for backup of my machines. (two laptops and two desktops) The system was running fine with the connection to the server completing on startup. I recently shut down the server for several days due to high temperature in my computer room. (temps in the 90+ range) The shutdown was for my convenience to limit the temperature rise in the room. Since turning the server on all machines except one desktop startup fine and the WHS connects OK. However ond desktop fails to connect. The connection to WHS seems to start OK (green icon). But the LAN connection is accomplished after WHS Connector and the WHS connection fails. A restart of the WHS computer is required to make the connection. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R. The startup sequence of the desktop has not changed from before the WHS shutdown.
    What firewall are you running? Have you updated it or other startup software recently? Have added or changed any network connections such as mapped drives or networked disk drives that may not be available when the trobulesome PC boots?

Just to double check, have you tried several re-boots of the PC to see if it ever works?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. The problem of WHS Connector not connecting got worse. Restarting the server would not connect. After working directly with the server the problem turned out to be a bad connection between the WHS and the router. Replacing the cable has solved the problem. Again Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Lange View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The problem of WHS Connector not connecting got worse. Restarting the server would not connect. After working directly with the server the problem turned out to be a bad connection between the WHS and the router. Replacing the cable has solved the problem. Again Thanks.
    Nice detective work!! Intermittent hardware problems are very difficult to diagnose. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe