Thanks
    Greetings from the other side of the world to fellow loungers!

I have tried to upgrade to the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight. It requires an un-install of the "older" version first. I have done this using Revo Uninstaller (with deepest un-install setting), followed by CC Cleaner and re-boot. All with Anti virus software disabled and all other programs shut down.

Attempting to install the new silverlight results in an error claiming, once again, that I must first un-install the "older" version. I have even tried this process in Windows Safe mode....Same result.

Use of "Autoruns" has not provided any clue to what might be preventing the installation and neither has WIS ("System Information for Windows").

Any suggestions? Thanks in anticipation.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Greetings Peter!

Try checking your processes in Task Manager to see if one was able to duck the uninstall routine. Also check out the Services under Administrative Tools. In Windows 7 click the Start orb and type services.msc in the Search box and press enter.

Also look in Program Files for the Microsoft Silverlight folder and if you find one, look for a .dll file left behind. Delete it if you find one. Somtimes Revo does not catch everything (it left some files behind when I uninstalled MS Office 2007). CCleaner has a safe registry cleaning module, but that is because it is less aggressive than some of the others available.

If you are comfortable doing so, you can start the registry editor- type regedit in the search box of the start menu and search for any references to Silverlight and remove any found. if you do, backup the registry, and better yet make a full image backup of your Windows system partition before editing.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just had a similar hassle, but with Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) - despite the fact that I used Symantec's "clean wipe" uninstaller and a third-party uninstaller to remove all traces of SEP, the installer insisted that SEP was already installed. To fix this I had to manually go into the registry to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer, and mainly the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18 and remove all references to SEP. A similar thing should work for Silverlight. By the way, one way to figure out which registry keys the installer is looking at is to run Process Monitor from sysinternals - it can monitor registry access.

Thanks
    Gerald and Peter: Thanks a ton for the advice/suggestions. I am afraid NONE of them have helped! I did find a silverlight .DLL file and deleted it, but it made no difference. I even tried a search for "silverlight" but it yielded nothing, so.....? Fortunately this is not a train smash. I can do without Silverlight, but since the upgrade was offered, I thought I would try it. The previous version worked, but having uninstalled it prior to attempting to install the now unsuccessfully installed upgrade version, I have nothing!) So much for trying to move with the times!
    Enjoy the rest of the week-end. (Bed-time out here)
    Cheers.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.