New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All

I have a similar issue to Judy (Hardware Forum thread here)which has me stumped, but with XP64.

My card is a "ESI Juli@" which seems a crib of the "M-Audio Audiophile 2496" both in layout and specification. Things worked great when using XP 32 bit. My then M/B packed up and was replaced. I decided to go to XP64 after I located drivers and wanted to have more memory so as to use a large RAM disk for faster processing response (QSoft RAMdisk). I spend hours converting LP's and am fussy about sound quality. The processor in both boards is the same Q6600 which is overclocked and stable at 3Ghz even when running at 99%. The PC is only used for audio and DVD work. It does not access the net or have any office type software. There are 3 SATA drives.

Playback from the PC is fine and all software works with previously recorded WAV files from LP and CD. Ditto for sound extracted from music DVD's. Input from the amp to record is the problem. The VU meters on the sound card software (Julipan) are normal. I have done channel checks and see no additional noise from the card or anything unusual whether playing LP's, CD's or the tuner.

Input just produces constant noise when trying to record – about -3db on one channel and -21db on the other. Test recordings were tried using the windows recorder, WaveRepair, WavePad and CoolEdit. All record the same noise.

I have:
    Cleaned the card contacts and phono jacks with isopropyl alcohol.
    Moved the card to the furthest position away from the graphics card.
    Covered the Juli@ with its manual to try additional shielding.
    Changed 64 bit driver versions.
    Disabled "Spread spectrum" and "Speed stepping" in the BIOS.

My suspicion is the problem occurs after the sound goes through the card, which may be windows or the windows / M/B driver interfaces. My next step is to load XP32 on a different drive and test.

My turntable is a Linn Sondek connected to NAIM amplification. Speaker sound is fine and normal with any input source.

Thanks.
    Mel

Thanks
    Hi Mel, and welcome to the Lounge!

When you replaced your motherboard, were you able to find actual XP x64 drivers for all your hardware? Are there any more recent motherboard chipset drivers available?

Has your XP Pro 64 bit been updated through Service Pack 2 for x64 XP?

What is your motherboard model?

Does your motherboard have built in sound? If so, has it been disabled in the BIOS? Adding a sound card usually does not automatically disable the on board sound.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Greetings. I assume the player and the PC are earthed?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all.

Interesting, Peter. No - I will try a direct earth. The turntable and amp are earthed and connected to the same wall power socket as the PC. Power sockets are 3 pin for live, neutral and earth.

Gerald - XP64 is patched with SP2 and all updates. I slipstreamed SP2, patches and have some patches which have to be manually run. I suppose it might be an idea to connect to the net and let the MS update tell me if anything is missing. I normally on my XP32 PC, note which updates are due and also download the 64 bit versions, as well as checking the MS security bulletin notifications.

M/B is MSI P45 Neo3 V2 and the sound is disabled in the BIOS.

I did write to the company for 64 bit drivers before deciding to go with XP64. They told me to use Vista 64 bit drivers as there were none for XP. Here is the link they gave.
    http://download.esi-audio.com/?w=esi&p=6&g=1&l=en

Now looking back at their email, they do say:
    "The unified drivers available on the website are mainly developed for usage under Windows Vista and can be used with Windows XP x64 but due to the changes in the driver architecture between the operating systems, the devices appear differently.
    ESI intended originally that the Windows Vista drivers for the Juli@ are fully compatible with Windows XP, but had to realize that this would not be possible without making too many compromises on features simply due to the different architectures
    Therefore we cannot support the drivers fully under XP64bit
    Please note that the performance and support of Windows XP x64 with most audio applications is very limited.
    It is strongly recommended by us to use a 32-bit Version of Windows XP or alternatively move directly to Windows Vista 64-bit (if you wish to use a 64 bit operating system ).
    Many software companies in the audio industry already no longer support Windows XP x64 fully due to many restrictions and performance issues compared to other versions of Windows."

And it seems a catch 22. Some of the audio software I use was developed for Win98 and it all works under XP32. I wonder whether it would run on Win7. I have also just checked the pricing of Win7 and am shocked - around $450 in South Africa (Pro and Ultimate).

I have prepared a new drive and will hopefully have time on Wednesday to load XP 32 and test.

I made a note in the audio card manual from a previous experience which took a couple of days to sort out. Remove the card when loading windows. Once loaded, then insert the card and the drivers. I previously could not get the card to work if it was installed while loading XP.

Thanks.
    Mel

Thanks
    Hello Mel (from a fellow Capetonian). Just for my interest, what software are you using to copy your LPs? (I tried Nero Soundtrax and can't get it to do what it says it can do(??) I am about to give Audacity a try....
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Peter S

Contact me on melvyn7 at gmail . com

I also wrote to the man who developed two of the software packages I purchased and his reply was interesting. He lives in UK and my son is in Scotland. I was asking for names of retailers who may have the M-Audio as all my GOOGLE searches ended up with USA suppliers. BTW: He his very similar audio equipment to mine and is very fussy with sound quality. He was extraordinarily helpful in getting me started a few years ago. We both have some rare vinyl recordings. Here's what he had to say:

Regarding the problem you're having with buzzing when recording. I think the first thing to do is establish whether this is a digital or analogue artefact. After making a recording with this buzz, open the file in an audio editor and zoom right in so you can see things at the individual sample level. If you see individual spikes (possibly just one sample wide) regularly repeating, then it's probably some kind of soundcard driver issue.
    If you see a much "fuzzier" waveform characteristic, then it would seem more likely to be analogue interference being picked up somewhere.

If the ESI Julia is an AP2496 clone, then it's an old design and I would not be surprised if driver development has not been kept up to date with 64 bit systems. Maybe you should consider a more modern card (eg. the more recent M-Audio AP card, which I think is a 24/192 model). Or perhaps an external USB device such as the M-Audio Transit, or E-MU 0202 or 0404.

I have now loaded XP32 on another drive and everything works well. I therefore conclude it is driver problem with XP64. I did no hardware changes of any sort other than to remove the sound card before install and replace after XP had loaded. I may still do some more tests with XP 64 and using different versions of drivers. So far I have used 2 versions, And my evaluation from a previous post is the VU meters of the sound card are correct. The problem happens after the sound has left the sound card.

I also never mentioned that I am still using Directx from Feb 2010 and have not yet loaded the new version from June.

Thanks all.

Mel

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My solution has been to make an image backup and reduce the partition to 30GB. Then add another of 30GB and load win X32 for a dual boot system.

This so far works well using win X32 to record and X64 to do all the processing.